An art history major investigates the historical context for art works, artists, and styles of art. At St. Mary’s we encourage a diverse range of interests to give our students a wide variety of options after graduation. We value interdisciplinary study, therefore, many of our students complete second majors and minors in other fields.
As an Art History major you will:
- Understand the central techniques, methods and theories of artistic practice and art historical analysis
- Develop a basic understanding of the global history of the production, reception, and theory of art
- Use critical thinking to create and interpret works of art
- Acquire a life-long enthusiasm and curiosity about visual art, media and culture beyond the classroom
- Become familiar with the professional practices of art history, either as preparation for graduate programs, employment in an arts or museum-related field, or other professions