Requirements for the Astrophysics Minor
Required courses (20 credit hours)
Required courses: All students in the minor must take the 12-credit introductory general physics sequence:
- PHYS 151: Fundamentals of Physics I (recommended) or PHYS 141 General Physics I
- PHYS 152: Fundamentals of Physics II (recommended) or PHYS 142 General Physics II
- PHYS 251: Fundamentals of Physics III
In addition, students must take the following two upper-level courses:
- PHYS391: Astrophysics
- PHYS392: Cosmology
Elective Courses (4 credit hours)
Students must take one of the two Astronomy courses:
- ASTR154: Solar System Astronomy
- ASTR155: Stellar Astronomy and Cosmology
Students should note that most upper-level physics courses have prerequisite or co-requisite mathematics courses that also must be taken. Students should also note that not all of the upper-level courses listed here will be offered every year.
Minimum Grade and GPA Requirements
Students must maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA within the minor.
Students majoring in either concentration of the Physics major may also minor in
Astrophysics, but cannot use PHYS391: Astrophysics or PHYS392: Cosmology to satisfy the upper-level elective requirements of the Physics major if they do so.