Student/Alum User Guide
WELCOME! This guide will help you navigate Op-Net, the online Opportunity Network for Students and Alumni of St. Mary’s College of Maryland. This new site will allow you to search and apply for part- and full-time opportunities, including those posted directly to SMCM. Register today to find employers who are looking to hire SMCM students and graduates!
Please note that it may take us some time to build our employer database as we work to assist interested employers in transitioning to the site. Check back frequently! We also expect to add internships and on-campus jobs in the future.
- Go to the student login page, www.myinterfase.com/smcm/student/ and click on “Click here to register!”
- Enter the requested information, with particular attention to required fields (*). Please use your SMCM email as your username (or another account if you are an alum). Your password can be anything you choose. Be sure to fill out both the Personal (top) and Demographic (bottom) info., as well as your Student ID.
- Change “Complete Profile” to “Yes” and click “Register.”
- On the following page click “Submit Profile.”
- Decide whether you wish to be connected to our vendor’s partner sites including CareerRookie, CareerBuilder, Facebook, and LinkedIn. If you have a Facebook or LinkedIn profile, you will be able to quickly determine through Op-Net whether anyone in your network is with an organization of interest to you.
- It is recommended that you upload a current professional résumé at this time (see below). If you don’t have one, consult our resume guide (www.smcm.edu/careercenter/PDF/resumevitaguide.pdf) and get to work!
Once you have submitted your profile, your account will be in “pending” status. After your profile has been reviewed and approved by the SMCM CDC, you will receive an email notifying you that you have full “active” access to the system. If you do not receive email notification within 48 hours, please contact our office at email@example.com.
Please remember to update your profile when there are changes to your majors/minors, GPA, or expected graduation date. You can make changes by selecting “My Account” at the top, then “My Profile,” then “Edit Profile.” Click “Save” when finished.
Many employers allow you to apply directly through Op-Net; others provide application instructions in the posting. In order to apply through Op-Net, you will need to have at least one résumé uploaded to your profile. SMCM CDC staff will also review uploaded résumés for possible referral to interested employers.
- Select “My Account” at the top, and then “My Documents.”
- Click on “Add” to the right of the type of document you wish to add. Step 3: Add a distinctive name for the document (e.g., “Public Relations Résumé” or “Booz Allen Letter”). Note that you may upload multiple documents of each type, and that employers will never see your document labels. When uploading multiple versions of your résumé be sure to mark the most general one as your default, as that is the one that will be searched by CDC staff for referral to employers.
- Click “Browse” to locate your document (.doc, .docx, or .pdf) on your computer.
- Click “Save.”
IMPORTANT NOTE: The first résumé that you upload must be approved before you can apply for jobs through Op-Net. If your résumé is approved after review, it will be posted to your profile and you will be notified by email. You will then be able to upload additional résumés and other documents without approval. If your résumé would benefit from revision before posting, you will be contacted by a staff member of the SMCM CDC.
Searching & Applying for Jobs
- Select “Job Search” from the top navigation bar.
- All current jobs will immediately appear at the bottom of the page (and onto subsequent pages). If you prefer, you can enter a relevant key word such as “biology” or “software developer.” You may also want to select part-time/fulltime or explore the Advanced Search features which can be used to create saved searches. Though you will find some internships listed directly by employers, please note that we have not yet migrated our extensive internship listings into Op-Net (find them at www.smcm.edu/careercenter/internship_listings.html).
- Click on the job number/title to see the specifics of a position and how to apply. (If you haven’t already done so, you will probably need to disable any pop-up blockers at this point.)
- For easy access to jobs of interest at a later point, click on “Add to Favorites.”
- To apply directly to a job through Op-Net (if permitted by the employer), click the “Apply Now” button on the top of the position description page (Reminder: you will not be able to apply to any jobs directly through Op-Net until your profile and your first uploaded résumé have been approved; until this time you will not see the “Apply Now” button).
- Use the drop down boxes to select the specific résumé and letter you wish to attach, and write a BRIEF but courteous message in the text box. If you wish to upload new documents for this application, please refer to the Uploading Documentsinstructions. Note that a résumé is required for all online applications; letters are optional, but are generally preferred by employers. Refer to their application instructions for details.
- Click “Save” on the bottom of the page. This will generate an email notification to the employer with a direct link to your document(s). Any updates provided by the employer about your application status can be viewed by clicking on “View My Activity” on the left. Notifications will also appear in the “Task List” on your Op-Net home page, and be sent to you via email.
- If you accept a position that you found listed on Op-Net, please let us know by clicking on “Report a Hire” on the left side of the page!
As a convenience to you, listings from CareerRookie (for internships, part-time, and entry-level work) and CareerBuilder (for experienced professionals) are available within the Op-Net system. To access the listings, simply click the relevant tabs adjacent to the SMCM “Jobs” tab on the main job search page. You may need to complete some additional steps in order to access the listings. (Be sure to use the search boxes BELOW the tab area; the upper keyword box is for Op-Net only.) Note that you will not be able to apply to CareerRookie or CareerBuilder jobs through Op-Net; you will apply through the partner site, or directly to the employer as instructed.
JuJu is a search engine for jobs, similar to Indeed.com and SimplyHired.com. It searches for listings in every source imaginable from newspapers and job sites to HR/career pages of the company websites themselves. Nearly everyone should be able to find opportunities of interest by searching regionally for one or two basic key words (again, in the lower search boxes). Apply as instructed.
Contact the SMCM Career Development Center at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 240-895-4203. You can book your own appointment on this website. We also accomodate walk-ins most Fridays from 12:00-2:00.
Download this guide (PDF, 525kb)