Our goal is to guide students through the career development process. This includes self assessment, exploration of careers, deciding on a major or career path, and developing the skills and knowledge to be successful.
What you can do to help a student succeed:
- Encourage your student to visit the Career Center to discuss their major and career options
- Point out strengths they may not recognize in themselves
- Ask what they need from you and how you can best support them
- Encourage them to become involved in campus organizations, athletics, or research with faculty
- Reinforce the value of participating in informational interviews and job shadows
- Encourage them to find summer internships, jobs and volunteer opportunities in their field of study
- Support them and know when to step in and when to step aside
- Speak with us about any questions related to career development
Other ways you can partner with the College:
- Offer to share your wisdom with current students by joining St. Mary’s Professional Network. If you can set aside 20-30 minutes for an informational interview over the phone, you’ll have made a major impact on a student’s career.
- Help expand the possibilities open to current students by asking your organization to recruit at St. Mary’s. We provide further details on these opportunities on our Employers page.