Dr. Pamela S. Mertz
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Office: Goodpaster Hall 08
Camille and Henry Dreyfus Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth (1998-2000).
Ph.D., Mayo Graduate School (1999).
B.A., Juniata College (1992).
Junior Year Abroad, Leeds University, Leeds, England (1990-1991).
- Biochemistry I
- Biochemistry II
- Contemporary Chemistry
- General Chemistry I
- General Chemistry II
- General Chemistry I & II Laboratory
- Topics in Chemistry, Nutrition
- Introduction to Neuroscience
My current research focuses on a family of proteins, called the PAT family, which associates with lipid droplets inside cells. We are interested in the functions of the different family members and their roles in lipid metabolism and storage.
Camille and Henry Dreyfus Supplemental Award, 2001
- Sztalryd, C., Bell, M., Lu, X., Mertz, P., Hickenbottom, S., Chang, B.-H., Chan, L, Kimmel, A.R., and Londos, C. (2006) "Functional Compensation for Adipose Differentiation-Related Protein (ADFP) by TIP47 in an ADFP null Embryonic Cell Line" accepted to the Journal of Biological Chemistry, Papers in Press, 9/12/06.
- Mertz, P.S, Magra, A. L., Torday, J. S., and Londos, C. (2006) "Role of Adipose Differentiation-Related Protein in Lung Surfactant Production: A Reassessment", accepted to the Journal of Lipid Research, Papers in Press, 8/25/06. Rusnak, F. and Mertz, P. (2000) "Calcineurin: Form and Function" Physiol. Rev., 80:1483-1521.
- *Hoff, R. H., Mertz, P., Rusnak, F., and Hengge, A. C. (1999) "The Transition State of the Phosphoryl-Transfer Reaction Catalyzed by the Lambda Ser/Thr Protein Phosphatase," J. Am. Chem. Soc. 121:6382-6390.
- Rusnak, F., Mertz, P., Reiter, T., and Yu, L. (1999) "Regulation of the Protein Phosphatase Calcineurin by Redox: Implications for Catalysis and Signal Transduction." In: Iron Metabolism: Inorganic Biochemistry and Regulatory Mechanisms, edited by Ferreira, G. C., Moura, J. J. G., and Franco, R. New York: Wiley-VCH, p. 275-302.
- Rusnak, F., Yu, L., Todorovic, S., and Mertz, P. (1999) "The Interaction of Bacteriophage Lambda with Mn(II): Evidence for the Formation of a [Mn(II)]2 Cluster," Biochemistry 38:6943-6952.
- Mertz, P., Yu, L., Sikkink, R., and Rusnak, F. (1997) "Kinetic and Spectroscopic Analyses of a Conserved Histidine in the Metallophosphatases Calcineurin and Lambda Protein Phosphatase" J. Biol. Chem. 272:21296-21302.
- Rusnak, F., Yu, L., and Mertz, P. (1996) "Metalloenzymes and Signal Transduction: the Protein Serine/Threonine Phosphatases, a Novel Class of Binuclear Metal-Containing Enzymes" J. Biol. Inorg. Chem. 1:388-396.
- Sikkink, R., Haddy, A., MacKelvie, S., Mertz, P., Litwiller, R., and Rusnak, F. (1995) "Calcineurin Subunit Interactions: Mapping the Calcineurin B-Binding Domain on Calcineurin A" Biochemistry 34:8348-8356.
- Wiegand, D. A., Mertz, P. S., and Latz, B. A. (1991) "Detection of Intraoperative Laser Injury to the Facial Nerve by Electromyographic Monitoring of Facial Muscles" Laryngoscope 101:771-774.