Students take Action in the Gulf
This past Labor Day weekend, five chemistry students accompanied Professor Larsen on a tour of the coastlines of Mississippi and Louisiana to learn more about the effects of the BP oil spill. They brought back samples of the beach sand and water to study back at St. Mary's and to further their understanding of the many environmental issues facing the gulf.
Chem majors in San Francisco
From left to right: Brian, JP, Dr. Leah Eller, Rob, Nick, Danielle, Mike, Bertrand, Anita, Janice, Dr. Andy Koch, Tabitha (Now Dr. Clem), and Taylor. Emilie and Kristina couldn't make the photo.
Last Spring, 12 St. Mary's students attended the National Meeting of the American Chemical Society in San Fransico. Eight presented their work and we all met after Tabitha Clem's ('05) talk. Tabitha was just finishing up her Ph.D. at UC Berkeley.
Student Research Projects 2006-2007
- Julia M. Barnes, St. Mary's Project 2006-2007: An Investigation into the Synthesis of Spriocyclic Silaferrocenyl-2,3,4,5-tetraphenylsilole and 1,1-Diferrocenyl-2,3,4,5-tetraphenylsilole
- Jessica Baker, St. Mary's Project 2006-2007:Attempts at the Preparation and Purification of 1,1Dichloro-2,3,4,5-teraphenylsilole and an Investigation of its Reactions with Ferrocenyl Lithium
- Daniel Bruestle, St. Mary's Project 2006-2007: siRNA Knockdown of a Lipid-droplet Associated Protein
- Julie Chu, St. Mary's Project 2006-2007: Expression of Pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 family proteins following Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) in the Immature Rat Brain
- Rebecca Eder, St. Mary's Project 2006-2007: Elemental Characterization of Aerosols at Piney Point, MD
- Marka Fenske, St. Mary's Project 2006-2007: A Metabolomic Study of Polychlorinated Biphenyl Exposure on Snapping Turtles
- Emily Oblath, St. Mary's Project 2006-2007: Determination of Gas Phase Polychlorinated Biphenyls at Piney Point Park
- Teresa Palmeri,St. Mary's Project 2006-2007: An Anhydrous Polymer Supported Fluoride Source
- Scott W. Perry, St. Mary's Project 2006-2007: Determination of Particulate Phase Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons at Piney Point State Park, MD
- Amanda Schabdach, St. Mary's Project 2006-2007: Determination of Gas Phase Polycylic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Piney Point, MD
- Bintu J. Sowe, St. Mary's Project 2006-2007: Malaria: History, Lifecycle and Mechanism of Drug Resistance in the Plasmodium Parasite
- Elaine Techingambu, St. Mary's Project 2006-2007: Investigating the Scientific Validity of Traditional Medicine
- Kimberly Williams, St. Mary's Project 2006-2007: Role of PAT Proteins in the Formation of Lipid Droplets