Glendening Hall 220
For general questions or submission of forms and petitions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (240) 895-2234
St. Mary's College of Maryland
18952 E. Fisher Rd.
St. Mary's City, MD 20686
Elizabeth Nutt Williams, Ph.D.
Dean of the Core Curriculum and First Year Experience
Phone: (240) 895-4467
Dr. Williams will be on sabbatical in Fall 2012: please direct all questions and correspondence to Dr. Feingold, Ms. Wimberly, or the Core Curriculum mailbox.
Ruth Feingold, Ph.D
Assistant Dean of the Core Curriculum and Academic Advising
Phone: (240) 895-4388
Phone: (240) 895-2185
Experiences that students may use without seeking special permission include study abroad, credit-bearing internships (arranged through the Career Development Center), and approved experiential or service learning classes (see below for a current list of approved classes). By petition, students may be permitted to use non-credit summer experiences (such as REUs), Independent Studies, or Directed Research. St. Mary's Projects may not be used to satisfy the requirement. All experiences used must be primarily academic in nature: that is, community service or volunteer work cannot be used unless accompanied by a significant academic component.
Any experience used to satisfy the Experiencing the Liberal Arts in the World requirement must carry at least 4 credit hours, or—for approved non-credit experiences—occupy at least 160 hours. Students participating in a study tour that carries less than 4 credits could concurrently enroll in an independent study (see Section 9, below).
The nine sections of CORE 350 used to mark experiences are the following:
- Section 01. Independent Study or Directed Research. (Student must petition the Core Curriculum Committee)
- Section 02. Credit-bearing Internship (minimum 4 credits)
- Section 03. Semester or Year-Long Study Abroad Program in an SMCM Signature Program.
- Section 04. Semester or Year-Long Study Abroad Program in an SMCM-approved Exchange Program.
- Section 05. 4-credit SMCM Study Tour.
- Section 06. 4-credit non-SMCM Study Tour.
- Section 07. Approved Service or Experiential Learning Course, selected from among the following:
- ANTH 410/HIST 310: Historic and Archaeology Field School
- ART 440: Art for Community Educators and Activists
- BIOL 310: Tropical Biology
- EDUC 206: The Child in America
- EDUC 210 & 211: Reflective Leadership in Human Services Part I and II
- EDUC 286: Language Acquisition and Reading Development for K-12 Teachers
- EDUC 296: Language Acquisition and Phonemic Awareness
- EDUC/PSYC 336: Exceptionality: An Introduction to Special Education
- EDUC/PSYC 368: Educational Psychology
- ENGL 391: The Word in the World
- HIST430: Maryland Research Seminar
- POSC312: State and Community Politics
- PSYC 410: Service Learning in Psychology
- TFMS 392: The Teaching of Theater in the Schools
- TFMS 460: Creative Movement and Dance in Education
- Section 08. A non-credit experience. (Student must petition the Core Curriculum Committee)
- Section 09. Other experience totaling 4 credits. (Student must petition the Core Curriculum Committee)