Upcoming EventsTuesday - WednesdayApril 23 - 24
Patuxent Defense Forum 2013:
"Rivalries and Conflicts
in the South China Sea:
How Can the U.S. Promote
Greater Stability?8:00 am Cole Cinema
Thursday, April 18 2013
The Legitimate Role of Government
in a Free Society
Lectures on Liberty
Lecture by Walter E. Williams
George Mason University
4:00 pm | Cole Cinema
Lectures and Fine Arts Committee
Departments of Economics,
Political Science, History
and the Economics Club
Daughtery Palmer Commons
St. Mary's County delegates
John Bohanan (D) and
Anthony O'Donnell (R)
will offer their assessment of
the 2013 Session of the
Maryland General Assembly
Friday, April 5 2013
Margaret Brent Lecture:
"Notes to My Daughter: On Becoming A Woman"
Lecture by Elsa Walsh
Author, New Yorker contributor
5:30 pm | St. Mary's Hall
Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies
Thursday, March 28
Free Trade vs. Fair Trade:
Get it Right, and Wrong
Lecture by George DeMartino
Josef Korbel School of International Studies
University of Denver
6:00 pm | Cole Cinema
Global Economic Integration
After the Great Recession,
Importance of Free Trade
with Simon Lester
of the CATO Institute
5:30 pm | Cole Cinema
Monday, February 25
The Future of Fracking
in the Chesapeake
5:30 PM | St. Mary's Hall
Co - sponsored with the
St. Mary's River
League of Women Voters
of St. Mary's County
Natural Science and
A discussion of gas
extraction on the
East Coast and the
new gas revolution
associated with fracking
William Donald Schaefer
Internship for Government Service
A tribute to Governor Schaefer's many contributions to St. Mary's College and the State of Maryland, the Schaefer Internship for Government Service aims to allow undergraduates hands on experience in public policy with the hope that they will be inspired to choose public service as a calling.
St. Mary's Votes!
Since its inception in 2004, the club has registered over 850 young people to vote in State and National elections. In 2008, the club expanded its role in civic engagement to include working as election and poll judges during primary and general elections.
The Patuxent Defense Forum, formerly the Patuxent Summer Institute, at St. Mary's College of Maryland, is a meeting of academics, military officers, government employees, and defense contractors. The conference, co-sponsored by the Patuxent Partnership, is held at St. Mary's College of Maryland during the month of April to encourage the participation of students in the discussions.
The 2012 Patuxent Defense Forum:
"The Future of Conflict: The Ethics of Robotic Defense and Unmanned Warfare"
To see a copy of the 2012 Forum's program, click here.
The 7th Annual Patuxent Defense Forum was held at St. Mary's Colege of Maryland from April 24 - 25, 2012 in St. Mary's City, Maryland. The Patuxent Partnership and the Center for the Study of Democracy jointly presented this conference with the generous support of SAIC:
Panels included topics on:
- Integrating Robotic Defenses and Unmanned Warfare into U.S. Domestic and Foreign Policy
- Ethical and Legal Challenges in Understanding Unmanned Warfare
- Adapting National and International Institutions for "long wars" and Autonomous Defenses
Below is a list of speakers and their topics at the 2012 Forum:- Timothy Heely Vice President for Unmanned Systems and Naval Air Programs Cobham North America "Warfare by Remote Control"
- Noel Sharkey Chairman of the Department of Computer Science University of Sheffield "The Proliferation of Military Robots, Autonomy and Military Necessity"
- Jack Thomas, Unmanned Aerial System OPNAV N2/N6 UAS Section Head - Timothy Dunnigan, Program Manager SAIC "Ethical Dilemmas of Unmanned War"
- Michael Noone, Research Ordinary Professor Catholic University, Columbia School of Law "We Need to Talk About HAL: Legal Liability Issues in Aerial Robotic Warfare"
- Guy Seidman Senior Lecturer and Assistant Professor of Law Radzyner School of Law "Unmanned But Not Unminded: Legal Constraints for 21st Century Weapons"
- Peter Asaro Assistant Professor, The New School International Committee for Robot Arms Control (ICRAC) "Human Rights and the Limits of Autonomous Lethality"
- Benjamin Farley Chief of Staff New Organizing Institute "Drones and Democracy: Missing Accountability"
- Mary Manjikian and Wendi Lawson See Regents University "Responses to Critiques of Unmanned Weapons"
Below is a list of past forums and program agendas:
2009 Patuxent Defense Forum:
The Role of the U.S. Military in Fragile and Failed States (PDF)
2008 Patuxent Defense Forum:
The Privatization of the Military (PDF)
2007 Patuxent Defense Forum:
The U.S. Military and the World (PDF)
The Future Roles of the U.S. Navy (PDF)