International Languages and Cultures
Summer Bridge 2013
July 14 to 27
DeSousa-Brent Scholars excel in the classroom and beyond.
Scholars host annual visits to high schools and community centers in Maryland and Washington, DC, to promote St. Mary's to talented high school students.
DESOUSA-BRENT SUMMER BRIDGE
Sunday, July 14 – Saturday, July 27, 2013
Family Weekend: Friday, July 26 – Saturday, July 27
(Summer Bridge 2013 Schedule coming soon!)
Going away to college is one of the most exciting but one of the most challenging experiences in our lives. At DBSP Summer Bridge, incoming Scholars and their families are greeted by a community committed to helping them make a smooth—and fun!—transition into the rigors of college life. Participants receive advising assistance, introductions to college coursework, and social events that help them begin to feel at home at St. Mary’s.
Our focus during DBSP Summer Bridge is to cultivate understanding of:
- How college classes are structured
- How to use technology as a tool for time management, communication, and academic efforts
- How to ease the anxiety students often feel about approaching a new academic undertaking
- How to balance attention to academics with attention to physical and emotional needs
- How to use campus support services, including recreational facilities, in one’s quest for success
Benefits of participating in DBSP Summer Bridge include:
- Opportunity to earn two college credits
- Opportunities to meet and form connections with peer mentors and other first-year Scholars
- Opportunities to make connections with professors and administrators who will help Scholars adjust to college life
Families may join the Scholars on Friday and Saturday, July 26-27, for Family Weekend. Enjoy special programming, including workshops for parents, receptions with DeSousa-Brent supporters, and the Friday evening River Concert Series. We provide accommodations for up to four family members.
Questions? Contact Prof. Sybol Anderson at email@example.com.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND FORMS:
Pre-Calculus Review Mini-Course Materials
Pre-Arrival Letter and Information
Summer Bridge Activity Registration Form. Due Monday, July 8, 4:00 p.m.
Summer Bridge Housing Contract -- Required for participation in Bridge. Due Friday, July 5, 4:00 p.m., to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Bridge Writing Assignment -- Required for participation in Bridge. Due Wednesday, July 10, 4:00 p.m., to email@example.com.
Assumption of Risk Form -- Parent/guardian signature required for participation.