What should I do?
EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS "EVACUATE"
“Evacuate” will be the term used when it is necessary to vacate the specific building(s). The operating principle is that all in the building need to leave as quick and calmly as possible.
Responsibility of the building monitor
Notification of a building evacuation will be issued by any or all of the following methods:
• Campus-wide Emergency Alert Signal (Siren w/Voice)
• Phone call from the Emergency Response Team
• Email from the Emergency Response Team
Sample alert from the Emergency Response Team:
This is “Jane Doe” from the Emergency Response Team. The campus is notifying you to evacuate. St. Mary’s is experiencing an emergency. Campus shelters are located at the Campus Center and the Athletic and Recreation Center. Please stay alert to further instructions.
1. Notify the Building Emergency Team to disperse the evacuation instructions.
2. Assign one or more persons to make sure all exterior doors are open access. One-Card activated doors will be unlocked remotely.
3. One or more persons will notify inhabitants to evacuate the building.
4. Follow specific evacuation instructions that may indicate designated shelters or other safety plans.
When the all clear signal is broadcast, the emergency is resolved and classes if in session will resume at the nearest class time period.
A primary objective is for every one to stay safe, including you. If someone is in need of assistance and you are able, please help in any way you are able.