What should I do?
EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS "LOCKDOWN"
Lockdown will be the term used when it is necessary to restrict access to buildings on campus. The operating principle is that all exterior doors are locked and persons in the building are not allowed to leave and entrance into the building is restricted to by permission only.
Responsibility of the building monitor
Notification of a campus lockdown will be issued by any or all of the following methods:
• Campus-wide Emergency Alert Signal (Siren w/Voice)
• Phone call from the Emergency Response Team
• Email from the Emergency Response Team
Sample alert from the Emergency Response Team:
This is “Jane Doe” from the Emergency Response Team. The campus is on lockdown, please take the required action. Stay alert for updates.
1. Notify the Building Emergency Team to disperse the lockdown instructions.
2. Assign one or more persons to manually lock outside doors. One-Card activated doors will be locked remotely.
3. One or more persons will notify inhabitants to please take shelter in a classroom, office, lab, meeting room or other type of room and:
• close the door and lock or barricade if possible
• stay away from windows
• stay out of sight from the doorway
• stay alert for an all clear message
4. Once doors are locked return to your office and take similar evasive steps but monitor email, phone, and voicemail for further instructions.
5. If able, monitor the doors and halls to make sure everyone is taking the proper precautions.
When the all clear signal is broadcast, the emergency is resolved and classes if in session will resume at the nearest class time period.
A primary objective is for every one to stay safe, including you. If someone is trying to enter the building to take shelter and you feel comfortable, let that person inside.