What should I do?
EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS "TAKE SHELTER"
“Take shelter” will be the term used when it is necessary to allow access to buildings on campus in the case of an emergency requiring persons to shelter from adverse external conditions. The operating principle is that buildings will be sources of refuge and should be allowed open access.
Responsibility of the building monitor
Notification of a campus take shelter will be issued by any or all of the following methods:
- Campus-wide Emergency Alert Signal (Siren w/Voice)
- Phone call from the Emergency Response Team
- Email from the Emergency Response Team
Sample alert from the Emergency Response Team:
This is “Jane Doe” from the Emergency Response Team. The campus is notifying everyone to take shelter. Stay alert for updates.
1. Notify the Building Emergency Team to disperse the take shelter instructions.
2. Assign one or more persons to make sure all exterior doors are open access. One-Card activated doors will be unlocked remotely.
3. One or more persons will notify inhabitants to please take shelter in a classroom, office, lab, meeting room or other type of room and:
- close the door and lock or barricade if possible
- stay away from windows
- stay out of sight from the doorway
- stay alert for an all clear message
When the all clear signal is broadcast, the emergency is resolved and classes if in session will resume at the nearest class time period.
A primary objective is for every one to stay safe, including you. If someone is need of assistance and you are able, please help in any way you are able.