Eligibility Requirements: To be considered for a limited amount of Perkins Loan funds, you must do the following:
How to Apply
- submit a FAFSA by SMCM’s Priority Deadline
- demonstrate high financial need
- enroll as a degree-seeking student.
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Entrance Interview for all First-Time Borrowers
- If you are awarded a Perkins Loan it will be listed on your Award Notification.
To receive the full award for a semester, you must enroll for at least 9 credits during that semester. If you enroll for 6 to 8 credits during a semester, you will receive 50% of your original semester award.
Perkins Loans do not have any processing fees.
Perkins Loans are interest free while you are enrolled in school at least half-time in a degree granting program (undergraduate or graduate). The interest rate during repayment is fixed at 5%.
Perkins loan repayment begins 9 months after you cease to be enrolled at least half-time. The maximum repayment period is 10 years.
If you are offered a Perkins Loan, the amount borrowed cannot exceed the amount listed on your Award Notification.
Entrance loan-counseling sessions may be completed via the Web at Mapping Your Future. Locate “Online Student Loan Counseling” in center of page, click on appropriate entrance counseling session, choose the state of Maryland, and select St. Mary’s College of Maryland.
- Perkins MPN
- FFEL Terms and Conditions
- Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program information
- Direct Loan Terms and Conditions
- Direct Loans information
- Perkins Loans Terms and Conditions
- Federal Perkins Loan Program information
All students who participate in a loan program are required to undergo entrance and exit counseling as part of acquiring a loan and continuing in good standing at the end of your enrollment at the institution.