One of our early evening seminars in the village of Ancient Korinth, at Café Marinos, overlooking the Korinthian Gulf, while discussing Aeschylus' plays.
Although clothed and with shoes, we recreate a footrace at the original stadium at Nemea. Professor Taber did retain from ancient times, however, the threat that cheaters would be beaten. Click here to see photos from previous tours.
- Berlitz Greek Phrasebook (Berlitz Phrase Book & CD): 978-981-268-190-4 Beware: similarly titled items might lack the phrasebook or lack the CD; you should get the item that is both (You won't need to bring the CD on the study tour, but you will need it to practice pre-departure. You will need the phrasebook on the study tour.)
- Recommended: The Blue Guide: Greece: The Mainland, edited by Sherry Marker and James Pettifer, 7th edition, W. W. Norton. The Blue Guide series is the most informative for the earnest traveler, and thankfully free from any noise about "Top 10 Tavernas in Nauplion," or where to buy shoes in Athens. The diagrams and descriptions of ancient sites are especially worthwhile, as is the reference section up front about the different architectural orders, the different parts of a temple, and such.
A chubby volume it is, however, so you might want to (a) cut out and bring only the pages relevant to our itinerary, (b) split the cost with a fellow traveler, or (c) do both of the above.
The remaining books are portable, affordable, and all but the last are from Hackett Publishing Company.
- Euripides' Medea, translated by Diane Arnson Svarlien; introduction and notes by Robin Mitchell-Boyask, 2008 (978-0-87220-923-7)
- Aeschylus' Oresteia, translated by Peter Meineck, 1998 (978-0-87220-390-7)
- Thucydides on Justice, Power, and Human Nature, translated and edited by Paul Woodruff, 1993 (978-0-87220-168-6)
- Plato's The Trial and Death of Socrates, 3rd edition (translated by G.M.A. Grube and revised by John M. Cooper), 2000 (978-0-87220-554-1)
- Marcus Aurelius' Meditations, translated by G. M. A. Grube, 1983 (978- 0-915145-79-0)
- Sophocles' Antigone, translated by Paul Woodruff, 2001 (978-0-87220-571-0)
- Stephen G. Miller's Arete: Greek Sports from Ancient Sources, 3rd and expanded edition, 2004, University of California Press (978-0520241541)