Welcome to the Counseling Center Self-Help page. We have collected a wide selection of Internet resources to help you with day-to-day stresses and difficult periods in your life. Please note, this service is not meant to replace a face-to-face consultation with a trained counselor, nor does this service provide "online" counseling. Please contact the Counseling Center at (240) 895-4289 for an appointment or referral.
Mental Health Self Assessment
The link below will allow you to anonymously take a series of mental health screenings. This is not a replacement for a psychological evaluation. Evaluations can only be conducted by trained mental health professionals, all of the counseling staff at the Counseling and Health Center can conduct mental health evaluations. Screening is an excellent way to help you define concerns and learn if an evaluation is appropriate. If any of your screening results concern you please print off your results and bring them with you to the counseling center, we can interpret and discuss the results of your screening. The password for St. Mary's students is SMCMBLUES.
- Becoming a Master Student: exercises based on the excellent text by the same name.
- LD in Depth: survival in college
- Study Skills Center at Keene State College
- Performance Resources: huge annotated site with links on career, business topics, study aids, time management, reading speed, stress relief, and personal achievement/growth.
- How to Study: study skills guide and study tips
Alcohol, Smoking, and Other Drug Use
- Harvard Intelihealth Smoking Cessation
- About.com Quitting Smoking
- Information on Smoking
- American Lung Association of Maryland
- Intoximeter Drink Wheel: Estimate your blood alcohol content.
- About.com college drinking
- Web of Addictions: get the facts
- Alcoholics Anonymous World Services
- Narcotics Anonymous
- To Write Love On Her Arms: National effort to increase awareness about depression, suicide, and self-injury.
- If you're thinking about suicide... read this first
- Interactive Depression Self-Quiz
- Interactive Bi-Polar Self-Quiz
- Dr. Ivan's Depression Central
- Do you have an eating disorder? Take this quiz. The Center for Eating Disorders at St. Joseph's Hospital in Towson, Maryland is the closest treatment facility to SMCM and also offers groups in Annapolis.
- Gurze Books Eating Disorder Resources: great links, lists of treatment centers and organizations for support.
- Something Fishy's Eating Disorders: a well-designed site to check out and read thoroughly. Self-help, support, chat room, and education.
- College Counseling Center's Virtual Pamphlet Collection: over 200 pamphlets on topics from alcohol abuse to study skills.
- Go Ask Alice, Columbia University Health Services site full of health ed. and wellness tips. They answer letters, with reasonable advice on sex, relationships, drugs, general health, and emotional well-being. They also archive all of their responses.
- Mental Help Net: the most extensive site online.
- Psych Central: articles, chat room, excellent Web pointer of rated links by topic.
- Griefnet: online support for dealing with loss
- Crisis, Grief, and Healing
- Grief and Renewal
- Guide to Grieving
- Healthy College Relationships
- Relationship Web: contains thousands of links and a discussion forum.
- Parents, family and friends of lesbians and gays (PFLAG)
- Outproud: on-line support for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender & Queer
Stress and Anxiety
- Anxiety Disorders
- Stress Self-Assessment: 154 questions
- Comfort Queen.com: self-nurturing for women. Great articles, daily dollop, newsletter, boards.
Online Support Sites for Self-Injury
- Palace Net's Self-Injury Support Site
- Self-Injury.net: online support and education
- Help Guide: resources and support