Study abroad is a life-changing decision that not only affects a student but their parents and family as well. In order to assist parents and families in learning more about studying abroad, supporting their child while they are abroad and also understanding how studying abroad will affect the student before, during, and after the experience, the Office of International Education provides the following resources.
- A Parent Guide to Study Abroad
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your free copy of this guide via snail mail.
- Guia para padres sobre estudios en el extranjero (A Parent Guide to Study Abroad – Spanish Version)
- Manda un email a email@example.com para recibir su copia gratis de esta guia por correo.
- Listing of St. Mary’s College of Maryland programs – including costs
- Health and Safety Information
- Scholarship Information
- Advice for Parents
Some things to consider when choosing the most appropriate program for your student:
- Does this program offer courses that will count towards the student’s degree requirements?
- Will your child be able to use their financial aid to assist in paying for this program?
- Where will your student be living?
- What type of health insurance does this program include?
- What are the health facilities like?
Costs and Finances
- What is the exchange rate in this country?
- Which financial aid can the use?
- Is this financial aid enough to cover the entire program?
- Are there scholarships available specifically for study abroad?
- Does this make it more or less expensive to live there?
- What does the program fee cover?
- How much is the airfare to this chosen destination?
- “Before They Go Abroad.” James McCommons. Better Homes and Gardens magazine, August 2006
- NAFSA’s What Parents Need to Know! Before, During and After Education Abroad
- A Practical Parent’s Guide to Study Abroad via GoOverseas
- Communicating with Strangers: An Introduction to Intercultural Communication. William B. Gudykunst and Young Yun Kim
- American-Cultural Patterns: A Cross-Cultural Perspective. Edward C. Stewart and Milton J. Bennett (especially chapters 4 and 5)
- Survival Kit for Overseas Living. Robert Kohls
- Trans-Cultural Study Guide. Grey Bryan, Ken Darrow, Dan Morrow, Brad Palmquist
- Surviving Re-entry: A Readjustment Manual for Parents