How to Apply
Create an account in our application portal
Complete SMCM’s Inbound Exchange Student Application. You will be asked to electronically request the approval of your home institution’s outbound exchange coordinator, as well as two academic recommendations. Applications will not be considered until all three of these recommendations have been received.
You will need to complete and submit the following forms/materials within the application:
- J-1 Visitors form
- Proof of Financial Support (in English) – This can be a bank statement or a letter for your institution if your institution is supporting your time abroad.
- A copy of their transcript in English
SMCM’s Office of International Education will send acceptance letters to those exchange students accepted for study at St. Mary’s only after receiving all of the required documentation.
Application due dates are:
October 15 for spring semester exchange
March 15 for academic year or fall semester exchange
Documentation required after acceptance:
- New Student Housing Form
- Copy of their Immunization Record (in English): Completed on the Wellness Center Portal after you’ve received your SMCM portal credentials
- Results of a TB (Tuberculosis) Test (administered by a doctor or hospital): Completed on the Wellness Center Portal after you’ve received your SMCM portal credentials
- Drug Free Acknowledgement: This can only be completed after receipt of your SMCM Student ID number
- Read Campus Drug-free Policy
- Health History Form: Completed on the Wellness Center Portal after you’ve received your SMCM portal credentials
SMCM will enter each student into the U.S.’s SEVIS system in order to issue each student a SEVIS I-20 (degree-seeking students) or a DS-2019 (exchange students), only after all of the above information has been received. Each student will take this SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 to a U.S. embassy or consulate in his/her home country to obtain the required entry visa.
These online resources will be helpful in preparing for your visa application:
Living in the United States
There are many online resources to help you prepare for study in the United States.
- Education USA
- U.S. Department of State
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the World Health Organization
Studying in the U.S.
The Office of International Education will coordinate pick-up and transportation for arriving exchange students. Please make sure you send your flight details to the IE Office as soon as possible in order to coordinate your arrival.
Once on campus, students will participate in both an Orientation for International Students and Scholars and SMCM’s New Student Orientation for all new students. Both orientation programs will help international and exchange students get to know the campus and its many services for students.
While at St. Mary’s
Learn about campus activities and news through such resources as:
- Campus Recreation Program: activities, excursions, trips, and more!
- Campus Events Calendar: online events calendar
- The Point News: the student newspaper
- Service and Social Change: community service opportunities
- Mulberry Tree: Alumni, Faculty, Staff, and Trustees Publication
Excursions and Travel
The Office of International Education will organize a series of local and regional excursions for visiting international and exchange students and scholars to such places as Washington, DC, Baltimore, Annapolis, Alexandria, and more. We organize three or four excursions each semester.
Public transportation is quite limited in Southern Maryland. We have a regional minibus route as well as a commuter bus route that you can investigate.
- St. Mary’s County transit system bus route
- Commuter bus, see Routes 725 and/or 715
- General Maryland Transit Authority information
It’s always hard to say goodbye and it’s a rush at the end of the semester to prepare to return home. The Office of International Education will assist any exchange student with the appropriate transportation to get them to their home country. They should, however, make every effort to make use of the campus shuttle offered by Residence Life. Don’t forget to share your emails, find people on Facebook, and share your Instagram users names before you leave campus so you can stay in touch long after you return home.
Visiting exchange students will receive one free official transcript automatically. After that if they would like to receive additional official transcripts they may do so by using SMCM’s only transcript request system.