The Master of Arts in Teaching program is a full-time, eleven-month academically rigorous program in which students can earn their bachelor’s and master’s degrees in 4-5 years.
The program places students in local public schools from the very beginning, which allows them to receive hands-on experience throughout the entirety of the program. Our teacher certification program has full approval from the Maryland State Department of Education, and leads to reciprocity for certification in a majority of other states.
Why should I pursue teacher certification at SMCM?
- Graduate with a degree from a well-respected liberal arts institution
- For those who intend to teach in the classroom, our graduate hiring rate is nearly 100%
- Immerse yourself in the life of public schools from the very beginning
- Join a community of individuals who share similar passions and idealism about their role in making the future better for our K-12 students
- Benefit from individual attention through small class sizes
- When you graduate from our program, you will have earned a certification that is recognized in 35+ other states
School districts tell us that they like SMCM graduates because:
- they know how to think critically, problem-solve, and use technology effectively
- they have a solid content knowledge base
- they possess a strong understanding of child and adolescent development
Our extensive field experiences and our eleven-month internship program are designed to ensure that our future teachers have the confidence, knowledge, and skills they need to succeed in the profession.
Learn from an experienced group of faculty members who:
- all had public school teaching experience
- regularly spend time in the public schools
- are passionate about teacher education
When you graduate from our program, you will have earned a certification that is recognized in 35+ other states.