Internships in neuroscience research provide an excellent setting for immersing yourself in the research experience. You’ll gain new research skills, apply your neuroscience knowledge, collaborate with other scientists, and get a taste of what neuroscience research is all about. In particular, off-campus internships give you a valuable opportunity to develop your networking skills so you’ll have a competitive edge and a network of professional connections to aid you in your future job searches.
Summer research opportunities on the St. Mary’s campus are often available in neuroscience faculty laboratories. These positions may be funded by a grant or may be part of programs like SMURF.
Off-campus summer internships in neuroscience are commonly offered at area institutions such as the University of Maryland. Some of these opportunities are target directly at St. Mary’s students. Watch for e-mails and other postings from the coordinator to learn about these opportunities as they arise.
Most of these are programs that typically offer summer internships – check the web sites to verify existence of the program for the current year, and to confirm due dates and application procedures.
- Atlanta Center for Behavioral Neuroscience Behavioral Research Advancements in Neuroscience (BRAIN) Program
- Emory University Summer Undergraduate Research Program – searchable database
- Indiana University Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates in Animal Behavior
- Janelia Farm Undergraduate Summer Scholars Program
- Johns Hopkins University Summer Internship Program
- Life Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Programs (LSSURP) at the University of Minnesota
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research
- National Science Foundation REU Search Page (enter “neuroscience” as keyword)
- New York University Center for Neural Science
- Rutgers University Research in Science and Engineering
- University of Pittsburgh Center for Neuroscience
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Integrated Biological Sciences Summer Research Program
- West Virginia University Center for Neuroscience