Limited space is still open for the second annual Chesapeake Writers’ Conference and the inaugural Chesapeake Youth Writers’ Workshop, both held June 23-29, 2013 on the campus of St. Mary’s College of Maryland. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply soon.
Participants in the Chesapeake Writers’ Conference will gather on Maryland’s beautiful Western shore for a week of workshops, lectures, panel discussions, and readings, as well as daily workshops in fiction, poetry, or creative nonfiction led by exemplary faculty.
Also being held in conjunction with the Chesapeake Writers’ Conference (June 23-29) is a special workshop for high school-aged writers. The inaugural Chesapeake Youth Writers’ Workshop will offer a unique experience for those interested in the graphic novel. Youth writers will study the art and craft of graphic storytelling, focusing on creating stories with words and pictures.
At their leisure, participants will also be able to experience the bounty of summertime Southern Maryland as they enjoy concerts, kayaking, day-tripping to nearby parks, and much more. Lodging will be provided on the St. Mary’s College campus.
More information can be found online at www.smcm.edu/summer/writing or by contacting conference organizers at ChesapeakeWritersConference@smcm.edu.
The following are free and open events held in conjunction with the Chesapeake Writers’ Conference:
- Monday, June 24: Reading: Jen Michalski & HG Carrillo, 7:30-8:30 p.m. Schaefer Hall 106.
- Tuesday, June 25: Reading: Ana Maria Spagna & Matthew Henry Hall, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Library 321
- Wednesday, June 26: Reading: Patricia Henley & Jerry Gabriel, 8:00-9:00 p.m.
- Thursday, June 27: Music: Sheltered Turtle, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Campus Center
Reading: Matt Burgess & Elizabeth Arnold, 8:30-9:30 p.m.
- Friday, June 28: River Concert Series: “Peter, the Wolf,” & other wild things, 8:00-10:00 p.m.