The St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives has recently added five new additions to its collections. Now available for public use and research are the papers of Regina Hammett, J. Frank Raley, Paul Bailey, John Bohanan, and Jane Yowaiski.
About each addition:
The papers of Regina Hammett
Hammett was a member of the St. Mary’s County Historical Society and served as editor of its publication, “The Chronicles,” from 1984 to 1985. She is author of the book “History of Saint Mary’s County, 1634-1990.” Hammett’s papers include research notes for her book, materials related to an unfinished manuscript about St. Mary’s County schools, as well as hundreds of identified photographs, maps, and genealogical and topical files.
The papers of J. Frank Raley
Raley, often referred to as St. Mary’s County’s “Senior Statesman,” served in the Maryland State Senate from 1963-1966 and was a longtime member of the St. Mary’s College Board of Trustees. Raley’s papers document his involvement with a broad range of activities related to the advancement of St. Mary’s County, spanning 1946 to 2008.
The papers of Paul Bailey
Bailey served St. Mary’s County in the Maryland Senate from 1947 to 1954 and again from 1967 to 1974. Bailey’s papers document his second tenure as state senator, but mostly cover the successful fight to stop the erection of an oil refinery in St. Mary’s County in the late 60s to early 70s.
The papers of John Bohanan
Bohanan represented St. Mary’s County in the Maryland House of Delegates from 1999 to 2015. His papers contain correspondences between him and his constituents, as well as Maryland legislators and private companies. In addition to official legislative and executive documents, Bohanan’s papers also include inter-office notes and informal letters from constituents.
The papers of Jane Yowaiski
Yowaiski was a prominent and active member of the Democratic Party in St. Mary’s County. Her papers include various correspondences, meeting minutes, newsletters, photographs and newspaper clippings.
Guides for all of these collections are available in the “Finding Aids” tab of the Archive’s website at www.smcm.edu/archives.
The St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives provides for the acquisition, organization, description, preservation, and open access to unique materials which preserve and document the history of the college and the county in which it resides, St. Mary’s County. The collections are open to the public during regular business hours and by appointment. For more information, call (240) 895-4196 or visit www.smcm.edu/archives.