Katherine Grein '13 was selected as the recipient of an award that was established in spring 2012 to honor Dr. Laraine Glidden's career contributions to the advancement of undergraduate participation in research involving individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. The award paid $500 towards Katherine’s expenses to travel to the 2013 Gatlinburg Conference in San Antonio to present her work. Katherine worked with Dr. Glidden in either directed research or paid work from her sophomore through her senior year. She is a co-author on a 2012 publication, and they are working together on two others that are under review.
Laurie (Kloster) Filer '05 earned her MA in Industrial and Organizational Psychology from Middle Tennessee State University in 2008. She is currently working as a Human Resources Specialist for NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
42 students completed an SMP in psychology in AY12-13. Congratulations to them all!
At the end of each year, mentors select particularly outstanding SMPs to be featured in our PsycSMP Showcase. 12-13 Showcase projects were written by Katherine Grein, Christine Kodluboy, Lydia Martin, Heather Palacorolla, Liza Sitz, Emma Sullivan, and Abby Vandegrift.
- On April 17, 2014 at 4:00pm in GH195, Dr. Carolyn Tucker (University of Florida) will present on a topic TBA as part of the Psychology Lecture Series: Health and the Obesity “Crisis”.
- On March 1, 2014, the Psyched for Life Team, consisting of Angie Draheim (captain) and 3 of her family members, Dr. Aileen Bailey and 2 of her family members, Dr. Anne Marie Brady, Dr. Renee Dennison, Dr. Laraine Glidden, Dr. Cynthia Koenig, Dr. James Mantell and 1 of his family members, Dr. Scott Mirabile, and Dr. Jennifer Tickle participated in the 12-hour, 5th Annual SMCM American Cancer Society Relay for Life event. Virtual team members/fundraisers also included Dr. Debbie O'Donnell and Katie Henerson '14. Overall, the team helped to raise general and brain cancer awareness as well as $5,248.50 for ACS research & patient support programs. The entire Relay event raised $30,768.43 (and counting). The next Relay is scheduled for March 2015.
- On February 21, 2014, Dr. Bruce Lee (John's Hopkins) presented "Systems Science Approaches to Prevent and Control Obesity" as part of the Psychology Lecture Series: Health and the Obesity “Crisis”.
- On Oct 25, 2013, Dr. Terry Davidson (American University) presented 'Why We Overeat and Become Obese? It Could be What We Think!' as part of the Psychology Lecture Series: Health and the Obesity “Crisis”.
- The 4th edition of p<.05 News, the Psychology Department's Alumni Newsletter, was released October 11, 2013.
- Welcome to our visiting assistant professors for AY13-14! Dr. Brett Pehlam with teach PSYC303: Research Methods. Dr. James Mantell will teach PSYC301: Psychological Statistics and PSYC312: Sensation & Perception. Dr. Richard Abrams with teach PSYC424: Cognitive Psychology w/ Lab.
- AY12-13 Visiting Assistant Professor Katy Daly '04 has transitioned to Assistant Director of the SMCM Health & Counseling Center.
- During June 2013 we bid a fond farewell to Dr. Eric Hiris (now teaching at the University of Northern Iowa) and Dr. Janet Coy (now enjoying retirement).
- On May 10, 2013, Dr. Aileen Bailey was promoted to Professor of Psychology and Dr. Roger Stanton was promoted to Associate Professor of Psychology by the Board of Trustees. Congratulations, Roger & Aileen!
- On April 26, 2013, 7 students were honored at Awards Convocation.
- On April 19, 2013, 23 students were inducted into the Psi Chi Honor Society.
- Libby Williams was elected as 2013 Woman of the Year for the Section for the Advancement of Women (SAW) of the Society of Counseling Psychology at the American Psychological Association. Congratulations, Libby!
- On March 2, 2013, the Psyched for Life Team, consisting of Angie Draheim (captain) and 4 of her family members, Dr. Scott Mirabile, Dr. Jennifer Tickle, and Dr. Libby Williams participated in the 12-hour, 4th Annual SMCM American Cancer Society Relay for Life event. Overall, the team helped to raise general and brain cancer awareness as well as $2,049.00 for ACS research & patient support programs. The entire Relay event raised $35,025.31. The next Relay is scheduled for March 1, 2014.
- Dr. Libby Williams published a handbook of feminist multicultural counseling psychology along with Carolyn Zerbe Enns of Cornell College in Sept ’12.