What kinds of projects have our SMP students done?
Prospective PsycSMPs: A past student may have suggested a path for future research that you would like to follow!
Students can visit the College Archives (Calvert 009-ground floor) to read or view past St. Mary's Projects Mondays and Thursdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (appointments recommended).
Access to a full SMP can depend on how a student completed a release form, but most SMPs can be read or viewed in the College Archives without restriction.
Electronic copies of SMPs are usually provided to faculty and staff upon request, but students are provided electronic copies of SMPs only with the permission of a faculty member.
42 students completed an SMP in psychology in AY12-13. Congratulations to them all!
At the end of each year, mentors select particularly outstanding SMPs to be featured in our PsycSMP Showcase. 12-13 Showcase projects were written by Katherine Grein, Christine Kodluboy, Lydia Martin, Heather Palacorolla, Liza Sitz, Emma Sullivan, and Abby Vandegrift.
Fall 2011 Completion
- Penney, Lily: Child Emotion Socialization: The Impact of an Opposite Gendered Older Sibling (Mirabile)
- Minkoff, Sarah: The Success of Students with ADHD in the College Setting (Glidden)
Spring 2012 Completion
- Barnes, Crystal: How Effective Is Alcohol Education at St. Mary's College of Maryland? (Kosarych-Coy)
- Bouslog, Chris: Tactile Stimulation's Effects on Social Play Behavior of Prenatally SSRI Exposed Rats (Bailey)
- Bowers, Justin: Hand Preference and Personality Assessment: Phenotypic Expressions of Atypical Hemispheric Lateralization Hand Preference and Personality Assessment: Phenotypic Expressions of Atypical Hemispheric Lateralization (Kosarych-Coy)
- Burke, Jesse: The Impact of Adolescent Exposure to Olanzapine on Adult Cognitive Performance (Bailey)
- Buxton, Alison: The Effect of Learning a Second Language on Grammatical Gendered Perceptions of Objects (Platt)
- Carver, Ben: The Attractiveness of Primacy: An Examination of the Attractiveness Stereotype and Primacy and Recency (Tickle)
- Davis, Anna: A Proposal of a Novel Prevention Program Against Pluralistic Ignorance and Bullying in Elementary Age Students (Han)
- Dippel, William C.: Cognitive and Behavioral Impairments Evaluated in the Neonatal Ventral Hippocampus Lesion Rat Model of Schizophrenia (Brady)
- Ehrig, William: The Effect of Prenatal Fluoxetine Exposure and Neonatal Tactile Stimulation on Motor and Cognitive Behavior in Adult Rats (Bailey)
- Fitzpatrick, Shannon: An In-Depth Examination of Counselors' Experiences Working with Special Education Students (Dennison)
- Flynn, Elise: The Effect of Cocaine or Natural Reward in the NVHL Animal Model of Schizophrenia (Brady)
- Fullerton, Jacqueline: Companion Animal Bonding and Empathy Development (Glidden)
- Gibson, Jeffrey: Evaluations of Relationship Alternatives: Does Salience Decrease Commitment? (Platt)
- Glasser, Alyssa: Bridging Contexts: An Alternative Framework for Relapse Prevention (O'Donnell)
- Goluskin, Sasha: Investigating the Role of the 5-HT1B Receptor in the CA1 of Rats (Bailey)
- Gordon, Adrienne: Ageism: A Cultural Worldview or the Result of Lack of Contact? (Koenig)
- Holt, Courtney: The Role of Confidentiality in the Therapist- Sex Offender Client Relationship (Finkelman)
- Johnson, Lindsey: The Pit Bull: Measuring Stereotypic Beliefs (Han)
- Jones, Shelby: Cognitive and Behavioral Impairments Evaluated in the Neonatal Ventral Hippocampus Lesion Rat Model of Schizophrenia (Brady)
- Lackler, Katie: Empathic Accuracy: Friends, Strangers, and a Third Person (Han)
- Legg, Carly: The Law and the Family: Psychology in Action in the Legal System (Finkelman)
- Mazuk, Molly: The Psychology of the Christian Martyrs of the Roman Empire: The Case of Vibia Perpetua (Finkelman)
- Miller, Emily: Effects of Cocaine on Behavior in the NVHL Model of Schizophrenia (Brady)
- Morris, Steven: Eating to Ease: Emotional Eating in a College Population (Tickle)
- Opabajo, Irene: Color-Blind Racial Attitudes & Perceptions of Counseling (E. Williams)
- Placek, Katerina: Early Postnatal Sensory Stimulation as a Means to Overcome Emotional Deficits from Gestational Exposure to Fluoxetine (Bailey)
- Saari, Emily: Challenging the Status Quo through Emotional Connectedness in Relational Activism (Han)
- Sebert, Adam: The Boundary Personality Measure and Correlations with Defensive Styles (Kosarych-Coy)
- Serfling, Katherine: Using Strategic Leadership and Organizational Psychology Practices to Reduce Ageism in the Workplace (Koenig)
- Stewart, Jennifer: The Effect of Mortality Salience on Ageism as a Worldview Defense: Is Social Connectedness Related? (Koenig)
- Thompson, Brittany: Parental Education, Parent-Child Communication, and Self-Esteem in Emerging Adulthood (Mirabile)
- Unger, Alexandra : Modern Sex Slaves: The Truth behind Sex Trafficking of American Citizens (O'Donnell)
- Vaughan, Suzanna: The Unique Moral Lens and Religious Identity: Exploring the Relationship between Religious Attitudes and Moral Perception (Han)
- West, Kathryn: The Influence of Voice on Smell-Based Attractiveness Ratings (Hiris)