There are six (6) standing committees available to staff run by the Staff Senate.
If you are SMCM staff and interested in serving on a committee, participating in committee planning, events, or ideas, we would love to have you join us! Just contact the respective current committee chair(s).
Awards and Recognition Committee
Members of this committee coordinate nomination and selection process for college-wide staff awards; make resources, models, and opportunities for idea exchange available to campus staff on topics related to employee recognition and motivation; support efforts of communications committee to promote awareness of staff accomplishments; and maintain contact with the Office of Human Resources regarding ongoing recognition efforts.
- Cindy Dale
- Sahra Grube
- Mary Johnston
- Kelly Schroeder
Committee Chair: Catherine Robinson
- In FA12, the committee acquired a plaque to recognize winners of the Joe Carroll Award; it resides in the campus center and it updated annually.
- After an anonymous donor provided money to establish a Monthly Staff Recognition Award, the committee worked to develop the nominations procedure and rubric. They meet to review nominations and select winners.
- Provides a certificate of completion to any staff member who attends a training session organized by the Professional Development Committee or completes work off-campus and also organizes a reception in the early summer to recognize and congratulate those staff who have taken part in professional development opportunities across the year.
- In AY16-17 assumed oversight of the Career and Professional Development Endowed Scholarship Fund
Members of this committee inform the staff of the mission, membership, and major actions of the senate through maintenance of the staff senate website; promote a sense of community and appreciation among staff through publication and distribution of a periodic newsletter; and consider, develop and promote new channels of communication among staff as warranted.
Committee Chair: Gretchen Phillips
Collect information from staff, via direct communication or via area senators, to organize and produce 3-5 Staff Newsletters during the academic year (generally in August/September, December-February, and May/June).
- Aim to highlight personal and professional achievements, personal and professional milestones, and any (maybe not-so) hidden talents of SMCM staff
- Aim to inform staff of 1) initiatives of staff senate committees 2) senate & campus community events 3) changes in staff, programs, and/or resources
Develop and maintain a public website to highlight the existence of our senate and promote transparency.
Members of this committee develop bylaws in consultation with other senators; and conducts an annual review of the bylaws for possible amendment and coordinates the amendment process for any suggested changes; and makes editorial changes necessary for purposes of clarity and to ensure that bylaws conform to changes in organizational structure of the college.
Committee Chair: Jim Cranmer
- Derek Young
Social Connections Committee
Members of this committee coordinate mechanisms for supporting new employees as they transition to the St. Mary’s community; consider and implement means of enhancing relationships, communication, and mutual understanding between SMCM faculty, staff and students; plan and coordinate social, volunteer, community outreach, and other activities that increase employee morale and provide members of the campus community with an opportunity to interact outside of their roles on campus, and support the efforts of other staff committees to enhance the work environment and sense of community on campus.
Committee Chair: Kelly Schroeder
- Monica Armstrong
- Kathy Cheek
- Cindy Dale
- Rich Edgar
- Bobby Goldsmith
- Mary Johnston
- Jenn Marsh
- Gretchen Phillips
- Jacqui Roquemore
- Lisa Smith
- Morgan Smith
During fall semesters this committee organizes a fall staff appreciation event at the River Center and distributed holiday cheer across campus along with home-baked goodies.
In spring semesters, this committee has delivered Valentine’s Day/Random Acts of Kindness Week cheer and treats across campus, helped to organize a “spring fling” for faculty & staff, and assisted the with the end-of-the-year employee picnic.
Professional Development Committee
Members of this committee work with relevant groups on campus to plan and implement staff development opportunities on campus; consider ways in which staff interest and participation in professional development opportunities might be increased; and assess professional development needs and desires of staff and make recommendations for meeting them.
- Karen Cozzens
- Jim Cranmer
- Kelley Hernandez
- Brad Newkirk
- Routinely organize professional development workshops and prepare professional development related news for the staff newsletter
- In FA12, secured tuition assistance for full-time staff employees who want to take classes at Maryland Community Colleges. See here for details about the MD Community College Tuition Remission Program and to download the application.
This committee is always chaired by the vice president of the staff senate. Members develop, conduct and monitor election procedures for senators; considers changes to such procedures and to constituent areas and proposes election-related amendments to the bylaws; maintain and update constituent list used for election of area representatives each spring; serve as a point of contact for staff interested in serving on the senate or staff committees and assists with coordination of committee membership.
Committee Chair: Rob Maddox
An ad-hoc committee of the Staff Senate, the Diversity Committee’s Mission Statement is: Our goal is to work to create a respectful, civil and healthy workplace for staff and faculty at St. Mary’s College of Maryland. We will develop tools and programs to help our fellow employees in the following ways:
- Improve interpersonal communication skills;
- Promote professionalism in the workplace;
- Recognize the differing backgrounds from which we all come;
- Raise awareness of diversity issues;
- Support employees dealing with prejudice;
- Work to incorporate these values with other initiatives and programs on campus sponsored by the Staff Senate, Human Resources, and elsewhere.
We believe in “The St. Mary’s Way” and will use it as a foundation to create a better working environment.
Committee Chair: Alan Lutton
Community Service Leave Initiative Committee
An ad-hoc committee of the Staff Senate, the Community Service Leave Initiative Committee is working to draft a proposal which, if ultimately turned into policy, would provide College employees with the opportunity to make a positive impact in the local community without using personal or annual leave.
Committee Chair: Kelley Hernandez
- Tommy Cable
- Sabine Dillingham*
- Angie Draheim
- Mary Grube
Finance/Budget/Government Relations Committee
Encompasses staff representation on:
- Campus Budget Committee [Tommy Cable, Mary Grube]
- Board of Trustee Committees
- Academic Affairs [Jim Cranmer]
- Admissions and Financial Aid [Rob Maddox]
- Building and Grounds [Mary Grube]
- Development [Kelly Hernandez]
- Finance, Investment, and Audit [Tommy Cable]
- Student Affairs [Karren Cozzens]
- Strategic Planning Committee [Derek Young]