In June 2011, campus wide elections were held and the Staff Senate at St. Mary’s College of Maryland was formed. During the Summer of 2011 the group worked in its silent phase to construct bylaws which were approved by the Board of Trustees on December 3, 2011. The bylaws are routinely reviewed for consistency and clarification. The most recent amendments to the bylaws were approved by the Staff Association on January 28, 2015 and then approved by the Board of Trustees on May 15, 2015.
St. Mary’s College of Maryland is committed to developing and recognizing the contributions of the full range of its professionals as they work towards achieving the college’s mission. The St. Mary’s College of Maryland Staff Senate shall be the official representative body of the college staff. The senate offers a voice for all staff, endeavors to enhance the day-to-day work environment, and promotes a sense of community and respect across campus by fostering open communication with the college president, senior administration, faculty, students and the board of trustees.
- Foster a spirit of unity, pride, and cooperation through participation in the advisement of the college president, administration, faculty, and board of trustees on decisions that will impact the staff and the college.
- Provide an opportunity for staff to share needs, concerns, and opinions on matters concerning the college community.
- Advocate for the needs and concerns of college staff in communications with the president, administration, faculty, and board of trustees.
- Review existing college policies, procedures, programs, and benefits and make recommendations for revisions and additions.
- Educate the staff about issues affecting them and provide a forum for the exchange of information about policies, practices, and administrative changes.
- Advance the professional development and personal welfare of the staff and enhance their role in the college community.
- Promote communication, understanding, and mutual support among staff, faculty, and students.
- Recognize and celebrate the many achievements of college staff and their contributions to the success of the college.