The St. Mary's Way
St. Mary's College of Maryland lies in a setting of natural beauty and historic meaning which enhances our ability to reflect on our lives in an increasingly complex, technological, and interdependent world. As a member of St. Mary's College of Maryland, I accept the St. Mary's Way and agree to join in working with others to develop this College as a community:
- Where people respect the natural environment and the tradition of tolerance which is the heritage of this place
- Where people cultivate a life-long quest for disciplined learning and creativity
- Where people take individual responsibility for their work and actions
- Where people foster relationships based upon mutual respect, honesty, integrity, and trust
- Where people are engaged in an ongoing dialogue that values differences and the unique contributions of others' talents, backgrounds, customs, and world views
- Where people are committed to examining and shaping the functional, ethical values of our changing world
- Where people contribute to a spirit of caring and an ethic of service.
By choosing to join this community, I accept the responsibility of helping to build on its past heritage, of living its ideals, and contributing to its future.
Welcome to St. Mary's!
Message from the Dean of Students
Welcome to St. Mary's College of Maryland. At Maryland's public honors college, students will be challenged and transformed by our robust liberal arts curriculum and our strong spirit of community. As the Dean of Students, my job is to lead the Division of Student Affairs in supporting the most valuable asset the College has: our students!
Being a member of this beautiful community provides each of us the opportunity to learn from each other and practice the responsibilities that are required for a community to be safe and welcoming to each of its members. Achieving this is hard work that requires patience, critical thinking, compassion, and a commitment to the idea of community. I invite all of you into a partnership with our division in this important process. Everyone benefits when we work together to create an inclusive and engaging campus.
The Division of Student Affairs is committed to helping you navigate St. Mary's in a manner that exposes you to all the College has to offer. We will also challenge you to consider different perspectives and try new experiences as you progress toward graduation. Our goal is to promote your individual growth, facilitate constructive engagement in our community, and encourage the development of life skills that will help you be successful well beyond your time on campus.
Leonard Brown, Jr.
Dean of Students
St. Mary's College of Maryland