The St. Mary's Way
St. Mary's College of Maryland lies in a setting of natural beauty and historic meaning which enhances our ability to reflect on our lives in an increasingly complex, technological, and interdependent world. As a member of St. Mary's College of Maryland, I accept the St. Mary's Way and agree to join in working with others to develop this College as a community:
- Where people respect the natural environment and the tradition of tolerance which is the heritage of this place
- Where people cultivate a life-long quest for disciplined learning and creativity
- Where people take individual responsibility for their work and actions
- Where people foster relationships based upon mutual respect, honesty, integrity, and trust
- Where people are engaged in an ongoing dialogue that values differences and the unique contributions of others' talents, backgrounds, customs, and world views
- Where people are committed to examining and shaping the functional, ethical values of our changing world
- Where people contribute to a spirit of caring and an ethic of service.
By choosing to join this community, I accept the responsibility of helping to build on its past heritage, of living its ideals, and contributing to its future.
Welcome to St. Mary's!
Message from the Interim Dean of Students - Fall 2012
The fall semester at St. Mary's always provides an opportunity for a fresh start--whether this is your first year on campus or your last--and also the chance for renewal. The St. Mary's adventure involves reaching out for the new, while holding on to the well-established; I welcome you to both parts of the journey.
I've been thinking a lot about E.M. Forster's famous plea: "Only connect..." The key to a successful, enriching experience at our college is your whole-hearted engagement with our challenging curriculum, your fellow students, our beautiful environment, and the realization that the hallmark of your education is making connections--across the classes you take, between learning inside and outside the classroom and libraries, between intellectual and personal development, among the bright, talented--eccentric--people that you encounter all over the community.
As you begin this year, consider those two words: "Only connect." Only connect to new experiences and people, embracing the unfamiliar, even as you refresh your acquaintance with the comfortable. Only connect to the serious pursuit of your intellectual growth, exploring new pathways of inquiry while deepening your understanding. Only connect to the world around you, beginning with our glorious campus and moving outward.
Only connect with the wide variety of resources, advice, and encouragement available to you from our outstanding faculty, staff, and most particularly, the dedicated members of Student Affairs. We look forward to helping you make fruitful connections this year and beyond.
Roberto N. Ifill, Ph.D.
Interim Dean of Students
St. Mary's College of Maryland