Read the College's
Climate Action Plan (PDF)
SMCM Sustainability in The News
Climate and Energy
We are committed to making the St. Mary's campus climate neutral. Help us lead the way to an environmentally sustainable, economically secure, clean energy future!
THE AMERICAN COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY PRESIDENTS' CLIMATE COMMITMENT
As a signatory of the American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment (ACUPCC), St. Mary's has pledged to become climate neutral through energy consumption reductions, investment in onsite renewable energy sources, and carbon offsets. Check out our 2014 Progress Report!
THE CLIMATE ACTION PLAN
As a signatory to the ACUPCC, St. Mary's compiled an action plan detailing how the College intends to achieve climate neutrality by 2020. The climate action plan was officially approved by President Urgo on January 12, 2011.
In our Climate Action Plan, we intend to:
- reduce our gross Greenhouse Gas Emissions by 30% by 2020
- reduce our net Greenhouse Gas Emissions by 100% by 2020 using a combination of infrastructural, behavioral, and financial changes
- reduce gross GHG by 5% through on-site renewable energy systems by 2015 and 15-25% by 2020. This includes wind, solar, and/or co-generation projects.
- reduce gross emissions by 5% by 2015 using solely operational changes
- purchase high-quality REC's to offset whatever carbon emissions we cannot reduce
An updated Climate Action Plan is expected to be completed by the end of 2014.