Hardware / Software Technologies
The St. Mary’s Library has a computer workstation that is ADA (American with Disabilities Act) compliant.
The workstation can only be accessed by students with documented learning and physical disabilities. Students with questions about how to obtain access should contact the Office of Academic Services. Only Academic Services can provide access to this equipment.
Workstation and Hardware
- The workstation desk functions with a hydraulic mechanism that allows the desk to raise and lower to accommodate wheelchairs or someone standing up.
- Standard computer, 24″ monitor, scanner that includes OCR scanning capability, and track ball mouse. A regular optical mouse is also available at the Circulation Desk for those who prefer it.
- Pay-for-print is functional and print jobs are sent to the public printers on the first floor of the Library.
- ZoomText (version 9): Contains adaptive technologies for screen magnification and screen reading. ZoomText allows the user to see and hear everything on the computer screen. Functions include enlarging the entire screen, enlarging a portion of the screen (like using a magnifying glass), magnifying one line at a time for reading, or splitting the screen to magnify on one side but not the other. Speech and reading can be used separately. Settings for speed, type of voice, pitch, and volume can be set for the reader.
- Kurzweil 3000 (version 10): Works with scanned documents, existing digital files such as MS Word or pdf documents, or Web pages. Kurzweil can convert scanned or digital files to audio and contains a reader. It is also used primarily as a tool to assist with reading and writing for a variety of learning disabilities. Users can highlight text, access a dictionary while writing, and manipulate text documents in a variety of ways to make them easier to read.
- JAWS for Windows (Version 7.0): JAWS is a speech synthesizer and screen reader which reads aloud from screens. It can also output to Braille displays.
Manuals for each software product will be available at the Circulation Desk.