The MicroInternship Program allows current SMCM students of all majors to explore potential career fields by pairing them with host organizations for a 1-2 day job shadowing experience.
- Build up your resume by gaining practical hands-on experience in your field of choice
- Explore different career fields and refine your career goals
- Network with employers and make important connections
How to Apply
- The deadline to apply for the MicroInternship program is Sunday, October 22nd at 11:59pm
- The application opens on Thursday, October 5th
Finding Sites & Applying:
You will find available MicroInternship sites in HireSMCM. Download an instructional guide on finding MicroInternship postings (PDF).
To apply you will need to:
- Attend both the Resume Clinic and the Professionalism Clinic. Check back for scheduled dates and times for all clinics.
- Attend a MicroInternship Information Session. Sessions will be held in the Glendening Annex at the following dates & times:*
- Tuesday, October 3rd from 12 -1 pm
- Tuesday, October 3rd from 4 – 5 pm
- Wednesday, October 4th from 12 -1 pm
- Wednesday, October 4th from 4 -5 pm
*If you cannot attend one of these sessions, please contact the Career Center at email@example.com to schedule a time to receive the program information.
- Complete the MicroInternship Application
- Upload a customized resume and application to each desired site on HireSMCM. You will not be able to click the “apply” button within the MicroInternship posting until you have uploaded both a resume and an application to your documents in HireSMCM. Make sure you label those documents as “resume” or “other” respectively. Only apply to sites that you would be willing to go to, as any site you apply to will have the potential to be your assigned site.
After you submit your application, the Career Center will contact you with available orientation dates. You MUST attend an orientation session to receive your match!
- Connect with current St. Mary’s students in a mentoring role
- Share how your liberal arts education prepared you for life after St. Mary’s
- Build a brand for your organization on campus and recruit students to join your workplace
- Set aside 20-30 minutes for the student to conduct an informational interview
- Introduce the profession, industry and/or organization
- Provide a tour of the workplace
- Allow a student to observe the daily routine
Students are responsible for transporting themselves to and from the job shadowing site, locating and paying for any necessary lodging, researching the organization in advance of the shadowing day, and coming prepared with questions.
Shadowing occurs between the fall and spring semesters. The specific date(s) will be decided upon by the student and host after the matching process is complete.
The Career Center staff will match host organizations with students based on the information provided in the host application and the students’ interests.
How to Apply
If you and your organization are interested in hosting one or more of St. Mary’s student please complete the online registration.