CAMPUS ASSESSMENT, RESPONSE, and EVALUATION (CARE) Team
The CARE Team is a multidisciplinary proactive campus threat assessment and behavioral intervention team dedicated to improving campus safety through a coordinated, objective approach to prevention, identification, assessment, intervention, and management of situations that may pose a threat to the safety and well-being of individuals and the college community.
- Gather information to assess situations involving students who display concerning or disruptive behaviors.
- Recommend appropriate intervention strategies or disciplinary actions.
- Connect students with needed campus and community resources, and coordinate follow-up to ensure the support was deployed effectively.
- Centralize collection of concerning student behaviors.
Making a Report
- Anyone can report concerning, disruptive, alarming, or threatening behaviors to the CARE Team by:
- Speaking directly to a team member, or;
- Submitting a report through Beacon
What to Report
- Behaviors or threats (direct or implied) that may entail risk of harm to self or others, including but not limited to: self-injurious behavior, suicidal thoughts or attempts, and aggression toward others.
- Erratic behavior that disrupt the normal proceedings of students, staff, faculty, or community, including but not limited to: weapons on campus, significant inappropriate disruption to the community inside or outside the classroom, disturbing electronic media postings, inappropriate behavior in which safety is compromised.
- Belief that an individual’s emotional well-being is deteriorating or at significant risk.
- Substance abuse or a mental health concern resulting in the need for medical intervention.
- Following the report of a concerning student behavior, a response will be initiated in a timely manner by:
- Convening a meeting of the core CARE Team members.
- Gathering and reviewing all available information and documentation.
- Assessing level of risk.
- Determining appropriate course of action.
- Coordinating appropriate response and resources.
- Documenting follow-up and next steps.