Instructions and Information for Resident Assistant Candidates
Please follow these instructions to assure smooth processing of your application.
Resident Assistants must have sophomore class standing, have a good disciplinary record, be a full-time student, possess a valid driver’s license (if not, please see Stella Yakam), and have an earned cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better. Your GPA and disciplinary record will be verified upon receipt of your application. Please read the position description in order to ensure a full understanding of the responsibilities of the RA position.
Please remember that the Resident Assistant selection process should be a priority for you, and make an effort to attend each scheduled appointment. If a conflict occurs and you cannot attend a scheduled appointment, please contact the Office of Residence Life (240-895-4207) prior to your scheduled time. If you do not appear for an appointment without prior notification, your candidacy may be affected.
Wednesday, February 7th
Please complete the following steps in order to successfully apply for the RA position:
- Submit your resume and cover letter through OpNet (Job ID # 3713) by Wednesday, Feb. 7. Be sure to follow the instructions below to make sure that your resume and cover letter include all necessary information.
- Stop by the Office of Residence Life (Glendening 150) to schedule your interview and RA shadow experience (more information below).
- Make sure to arrive at both your interview and RA shadow experience at least 5 minutes in advance.
- Bring your personal expression with you to your interview.
Please submit a cover letter that addresses the items below. Please limit your response to a maximum of one page. Please stop by the Career Development Center in Glendening Hall 210 for help writing this cover letter.
Please discuss the following briefly in your cover letter:
- Why are you interested in becoming an RA?
- Do you have a building(s) or area(s) you would prefer to work in? Discuss how you would plan to build that community as an RA.
- Please list the reference that will be writing your recommendation and how you know them.
Please submit an updated resume as part of your application materials. Please stop by the Career Development Center in Glendening Hall 210 for assistance in putting this together. Please include last semester’s GPA, your cumulative GPA, and any other activities you plan to be involved in next year.
Monday, February 12
You will need one recommendation of your choice for your RA application. We recommend that you choose a reference that can speak to your leadership skills and connect them to the RA position. Recommended choices include your RA, current or former supervisors, SMCM staff or faculty members, etc. References will be asked to provide their email address in the recommendation and may be contacted with further questions.
Please copy and paste the following message and link to your reference. You are welcome to tailor this message for your own purposes.
Hello [Reference’s name],I am applying for the Resident Assistant position at St. Mary’s College of Maryland and have listed you as a reference. Please complete the following recommendation form https://goo.gl/forms/N0dEKKRi1anPXENn2 by Monday, February 12. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Stella Yakam at email@example.com.
Please select a personal expression to bring with you to your interview. This personal expression should tell something about you. It can be a quote, collage, photograph, painting, poem, or anything showing some initiative and creativity that will help the interviewers learn something about you. You will be able to explain your personal expression in your interview, so don’t worry about how “good” it is.
Group Interaction Days/ Interviews
Saturday, February 10 – Sunday, February 11, 12:00-5:00 p.m.
This day will provide candidates with an opportunity to interact with each other and give the student staff a chance to observe the group’s communication and collaborative skills, as well as observe personality types to determine fit within a particular staff. Candidates will participate in small group activities and round-table interviews with both student and professional staff. Group Interaction Days are mandatory for all candidates. Please dress appropriately.
RA Shadow Experience
Wednesday, February 7 – Wednesday, February 14
The RA Shadow Experience is intended to provide you with a first-hand experience of what it is like to be an RA. During the experience you will sit desk duty with a current RA. Please schedule your RA shadow experience once you’ve submitted your application. You are not allowed to shadow in the residence you live in.
Saturday, February 17
Candidates selected for positions will be notified via letter by Monday, November 20. If you are not selected for a spring position you may retain the ability to apply for Fall 2018 openings. You will still be asked to interview for Fall 2018 openings, but your application will transfer over. The interview process for that selection will begin in February.
Friday, February 23 @ 1:00 p.m.
RA candidate responses are due by 1:00 p.m. on Friday, February 23 to the Office of Residence Life.
I understand that the submission of my application materials for the RA position:
- certifies that I am not currently nor have I ever been on disciplinary probation;
- certifies that I have a valid driver’s license and have five or less points on my license (if this is not the case, please speak to Stella Yakam);
- indicates that I voluntarily give the Office of Residence Life permission to verify the information I have provided;
- acknowledges that my name may be compared with the Financial Aid Office records in order to assess the impact of Resident Assistant compensation on the financial aid package I may be receiving.