“The deadline for requesting a change of advisor for Advising day is by 4pm one week before Advising day”
Responsibilities for academic advisors
- Allocate time to meet with advisees at least once each semester, in addition to registration appointments. Advisors should meet more regularly with first-year students.
- Know the general requirements for graduation outside of the major (overall credit hours, upper-division credit hours, and Core Curriculum), and keep abreast of changes in the curriculum
- Know the requirements for majors in each discipline and be able to answer questions about them
- Aid advisees in designing schedules to meet their educational, co-curricular, and career interests, goals and requirements
- Refer advisees needing further advice or other campus-related information to the appropriate person or office
- Monitor each student’s academic progress and maintain up-to-date files containing each student’s appropriate records
- Be willing to assist advisees encountering academic problems or related difficulties and, as necessary, refer them for further assistance
- Make advisees aware of their responsibilities and encourage them to review their progress toward a degree
To initiate a change of advisor, the new advisor must e-mail the request to email@example.com, providing the student’s full name and ID number.
Students who would like a new advisor, but do not have a specific professor in mind, should contact Academic Services to be matched with a suitable professor.