Routine health care for most health issues can be obtained through the Wellness Center. Outpatient visits with a Registered Nurse (R.N.) or Advanced Practice Provider are free of charge. Call for more information and hours of services.
Please note, nurse triage appointments for Fall 2020 will be offered over the phone. Please call the Wellness Center front desk at (240) 895-4289.
Medical appointments with the providers for Fall 2020 will be offered virtually. Please call the Wellness Center front desk at (240) 895-4289 to schedule.
Limited testing for COVID-19 will be available at the Wellness Center for students, staff, and faculty. Call the Wellness Center front desk at (240) 895-4289 to schedule a test or obtain information on local testing sites.
- A multitude of tests/procedures including, but not limited to, strep screens, mono screens, urine tests, blood draws, dressing change, suture/staple removal, wound care
- Condition assessment and help with determining best course of action
- Consultation with and telephone orders from Advanced Practice Providers
- Health education, management of stable and chronic illness, weight management, nutrition guidance, and counseling referral
- Guidance/support navigating healthcare off-campus
- Ear irrigation
Assessment and Treatment of Acute Illnesses
- Eye, ear, nose, throat infections
- Cold/ flu and other respiratory viruses
- Seasonal allergies
- Skin infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
Sexual and Women’s Health
- Treatment of yeast and vaginal infections
- Emergency Contraception (Plan B) – No appointment required, but students may speak with a Registered Nurse if they would like to
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) testing
- Condoms (internal and external), dental dams, and lubrication available for free in the Wellness Center lobby
- Abrasions, small cuts
- Sprains, strains
- Minor burns
- Our medical staff can write prescriptions to be filled at local pharmacies. We maintain a formulary of commonly prescribed medications on site. We do not prescribe or stock any controlled substances.
- For all students
In-House Laboratory Testing (CLIA waived)
- Rapid Strep Throat Screen
- Mononucleosis Screen
- Dipstick Urinalysis
- Finger Stick Blood Glucose Test
- Fecal Occult Test
- For other labs, we can draw blood and/or collect specimens for analysis at off-campus labs
- Return to Learn Protocol
- Doctor/PA/NP orders required
- Blood draws should be scheduled outside of Advanced Practice Provider hours
- Forms should be completed before scheduled appointment
Over the Counter Medication
- Ibuprofen/Acetaminophen – pain and/or fever
- Nasal decongestant
- Indigestion medicine
- Orasol gel
- Cough drops
- Throat spray
- Salt for gargling – trust us, it works!
- Motion sickness medicine
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Antibiotic ointment
- Calamine lotion
- Emergency Contraception
- ACE wraps (self-closing)
- Hot/Cold gel packs
- Arm slings
- Cervical collars
- Finger splints
- Latex-Free Bandaids
- Disposable thermometers
- Medical equipment to loan
- Crutches/walkers/canes/wheel chair
- Free for loan – student charged if equipment not returned
- Various other items – call Wellness Center if you have specific questions
After Hours and Emergency Care
If additional or specialized medical care is needed, especially after regular hours, students should utilize local Urgent Care facilities or the Emergency Department at Medstar St. Mary’s Hospital. All such medical care received outside the Wellness Center is the financial responsibility of the student.
In an emergency, the student will be referred to, or taken by ambulance, to Medstar St. Mary’s Hospital Emergency Department. This will be the student’s financial responsibility.
Refer to After Hours and Emergency Care for a list of community Urgent Care Facilities.
Student Medical Records
Individual Health Records are maintained for all students. Student records are kept for five years after the student leaves St. Mary’s College of Maryland, and then are destroyed.
All medical records are kept strictly confidential, and are not released to anyone without the student’s permission. Requesting a copy of any part of your medical records requires written permission.
*The Wellness Center no longer writes medical excuse notes to professors. With the student’s permission, however, we will confirm a student was seen at the Wellness Center. Students are expected to schedule routine appointments for times that don’t conflict with academic classes.*