The Peer Health Educators (PHEs) are St. Mary’s College of Maryland students dedicated to raising awareness on campus around issues such as mental and physical wellness, suicide prevention, alcohol and drug safety, and sexual health and safety.
Prior to the start of each academic year, the PHEs attend a week of intensive training on campus wellness issues, peer counseling, and the ins and outs of peer education.
Each PHE has completed the nationally renowned Certified Peer Educator training through the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA) BACCHUS Initiatives.
The PHEs are available for peer counseling walk-in hours in the Wellness Center on Tuesdays and Fridays from 1:00-3:00pm.
Peer Health Educators are specially trained to talk with students about general mental health and wellness issues, sexuality, academics, and many other concerns affecting students. This is not a substitute for seeing a counselor, but is a great resource for students to get help from their peers.
The PHEs are supervised by the Wellness Center counselors and maintain strict confidentiality.
Programming and Events
The Peer Health Educators host a variety of formal and informal programming throughout the academic year on issues of sexual health and safety, mental wellness, alcohol and drug safety, and physical wellness.
Hump Day Help with the PHEs
Join the PHEs on select Wednesdays throughout the academic year for workshops aimed at promoting the wellness of SMCM students. A schedule of these events will be released at the start of the semester.
The Peer Health Educators accept applications for new members in the Spring semester. Contact Staff Therapist Emily Lamoreau at email@example.com for details.
- Attend PHE Training Week, held Monday-Friday during the week prior to the start of the Fall semester.
- Involvement in planning and running campus events.
- Attend weekly Friday afternoon meetings for debriefing and planning of upcoming events.
- Hold peer counseling office hours approximately as academic schedule allows.
- Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Contribute to event planning and be a reliable team member.
- Maintain an acceptable degree of conduct, on and off duty.
Connect With Us
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on social media @peerhealthSMCM.