- Public liberal arts mission, co-educational, non-religious.
- Accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Official designation as a Public Honors College, one of only two nationally.
- One of the top 6 public liberal arts colleges in the nation (U.S. News & World Report).
- Member of the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC).
- 361-acre waterfront campus adjacent to historic St. Mary’s City, MD, founded in 1634. (Fourth oldest permanent English settlement in North America).
- 70 miles southeast of Washington, D.C. and 95 miles south of Baltimore near the confluence of the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay.
- Total Enrollment, Fall 2017: 1,674 students.
- 90% of St. Mary’s students reside in Maryland. The remaining 10% hail from 23 states and 10 nations.
- 31 academic programs: 24 majors, 27 minors.
- Degrees offered: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.).
- Popular degree programs: Biology, Economics, English, Political Science, Psychology.
- 69% of St. Mary’s students major or minor in a second academic discipline.
- 145 full-time faculty.
- 10:1 student-to-faculty ratio, one of the lowest in the nation.
- 29 study abroad programs. 47% of the graduating class of 2016 studied abroad.
- 72% four-year graduation rate, highest of any public institution in Maryland.
- Member of the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society.
- Highest percentage of student-athletes on Capital Athletic Conference’s All-Academic team for 8 years in a row.
- Faculty have been awarded 36 Fulbrights in the past 34 years. Alumni have been awarded 19 in the past 23 years.
- Among the highest percentage of any Maryland school, 25% of all degrees earned are in STEM fields.
- The biochemistry program received accreditation from the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology through 2023. SMCM is the first public institution in Maryland to receive this accreditation.
- 82% of St. Mary’s students live on campus.
- 8 housing areas (coed and single sex halls, suites, apartments, and townhouses).
- 19 varsity athletic teams (NCAA Division III, ICSA, Mid-Adlantic Rowing Conference)
- More than 100 student clubs and organizations.
- Bill Ward, Director of Sailing, was named 2016 winner of the Sail1Design Coach of the year.
- Public Safety Officer Lori Brasko was selected by the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (IACLEA) to receive the 2016 IACLEA Award for Valor.
|1840:||The school was founded when the Maryland legislature authorized a lottery to finance the construction of a “female seminary” (girls’ boarding school) in St. Mary’s City.|
|1846:||The school was incorporated by an act of legislation.|
|1927:||St. Mary’s became Maryland’s first junior college.|
|1964:||The school changed its name to St. Mary’s College of Maryland.|
|1967:||St. Mary’s became a four-year baccalaureate college.|
|1992:||The state General Assembly designated the school Maryland’s public honors college; the state also granted the College an institutional status designed to assure stable public funding.|
Navy Blue and White