Priority deadline: November 27th. Remember, scholarships » are only available to students who apply by this deadline!
Application Essay: Two, Single-Spaced Pages
Visualize yourself in a diverse classroom environment where student needs vary in academic, socio-economic, linguistic, and developmental aspects.
- What challenges do you anticipate could arise in this classroom, and how would you work to address them? (Focus on your problem-solving and interpersonal skill set)
- How would you develop resilience in both your students and yourself as you pursue improved student outcomes?
- What draws you to become an educator given the demands of today’s classroom?
Three Recommendation Letters
- Two should be professors who have taught you. They should use this form ».
- If it has been more than five years since you completed your undergraduate degree and you are unable to solicit such letters, contact faculty in Educational Studies for other options.
- Note: Faculty members from SMCM’s Department of Educational Studies do not write recommendations.
- One should be a person who has supervised you interacting with children or adolescents. There is no specific form for this letter.
- They should be able to speak to your work ethic and professionalism.
- The letter can be emailed to the Director of Teacher Education (email@example.com) or sent through the mail to: Director of Teacher Education, SMCM Dept. of Educational Studies, 47645 College Drive, St. Mary’s City, MD, 20686.
- Schedule an interview by calling the Director of Teacher Education at (240) 895-2018.
- Note:Interview is only for transfer students without a minor.
Transcripts and test scores (SAT, ACT, GRE, or PRAXIS Core)
- If all of your MAT prerequisites were taken at SMCM, get an unofficial transcript that includes the classes you are currently enrolled in.
- If you took some of your prerequisites at other institutions, have official transcripts sent to the Director of Teacher Education, Educational Studies, 47645 College Drive, St. Mary’s City, MD 20686.
- We will contact you about admission by February 3rd.
- Deposits are due March 1st (Priority internship placements will first go to those who make their deposits before March 1st.)
- We accept applications on a rolling basis until the slots are filled or until June 2nd.