Seminars & Events
On Thursday, January 24th, 4:15-5:15, Information Session for Study Tour to Peru! Kent Hall 213.
On Monday, February 18, 4:45 pm, Natasha Zaretsky, Ph.D. from Rutgers University, will speak on the "Legacies of Repression: Testimony, Citizenship, and Survival in Jewish Buenos Aires." Location TBA.
See the History Department Calendar for more information!
"My St. Mary's Project was truly the culminating experience for my undergraduate years. The process brought me full circle; I was able to take a piece of literature I had read in my very first semester and keep discussing and applying theory to it in my last. My SMP proved to me that I could sustain great ideas and discipline myself, even when I was discouraged. Working so closely with my SMP mentor, Christine Adams, was really valuable, offering a one-on-one environment that I had never had with my regular classes. I came away from my project knowing more about my topic than I thought I ever would -- and I still love it!"
Looking for articles or where to start with research? Try asking the History Subject Liaison at the Library.
"Becoming a history major has helped me to develop skills in writing, research, and critical thinking I never knew I had. I used to get nervous when friends and family would say to me "So you're a history major... what are you going to do with that?" But now I realize that the professors in this department have prepared me for the "real world" without me even knowing. While I signed on simply to study stuff that interested me, I ended up developing a unique skill set and learning how to address problems in an analytical and unbiased way."
-Josh Herber, Class of 2007
History Sources, Pages, Links:
- Internet Modern History Sourcebook
- Women's History
- Center for History and New Media: More than two dozen digital history projects and free tools and resources for historians.
- H-net: Links to a large number of history resources
- Digital History
- Byzantine studies
- Egypt, Mesopotamia, Israel, Greece, Rome
- East Asia
- Africa and Egypt
- Islamic sources
- Jewish history
- The Middle Ages
- Liberty, Equality, Fraternity: Exploring the French Revolution
- H-France: Both the website for the Society for French Historical Studies, and a useful resource on French history and literature more generally.
- World War I: "How It Began"
- World War I: "The Great War"
- World War I: Other Resources
- World War II Propaganda
- Harvard Project on Cold War Studies
- National Security Archive of George Washington University
- British National Archives Cold War Site
- UK National Archives
- Institute of Historical Research (University of London)
- Folger Shakespeare Library
- Yale Avalon Project: Constitutional and political documents
- History of the United Kingdom: Documents
- Britannia: A History
- Early English Books on-line: 1475 forward, with 125,000 individual titles
- English Parliamentary Debate
- Victorian Web
- Proceedings of the Old Bailey
- Gregory King's Estimate of the population and wealth, England and Wales, 1688
- Diary of Samuel Pepys
- The Miners Friend
- Lord Nelson: Letters and dispatches
- The Great Exhibition of 1851
- The Crimean War
- Collection of Roger Fenton's Crimean photographs: Includes maps and documents
- Gertrude Bell Project
- Conflict and Politics in Northern Ireland since 1968: Background information and documents
- University of Washington Latin American History links
- University of Idaho Latin American History links
- New Mexico State University Internet Resources for Latin America
- Conference on Latin American History resources
Medicine & Science:
- Internet History of Science Sourcebook
- History of Science and Medicine: Comprehensive list of links to sources and resources
- Complete Works of Charles Darwin
- Charles Darwin Correspondence project
- T. H. Huxley, the Huxley file
- John Snow
- University of Virginia: Antiqua Medica
- Vesalius, De Humani Corporis Fabrica
- National Museum of Civil War Museum
- National Library of Medicine
- Paracelsus: Five Hundred Years: Three American Exhibitions
- History of Pennsylvania Hospital
- Workhouses in England
- Cyber USSR
- Russia Engages the World, 1453-1825
- Seventeen Moments in Soviet History
- Stalinka: Digital Library of Staliniana
- Gulag, Many Days, Many Lives
- RIA Novosti Soviet World War II Project
- Russian and East European Studies Virtual Library
- Russian Painting
- Kennan Institute - National Public Radio Russian History Audio Archives
- The Harvard Project on the Soviet Social System: 705 interviews conducted with refugees from the USSR during the early years of the Cold War
- Maryland State Archives: Primary documents in the Maryland Archives
- American Memory: Documents, maps, photos in the Library of Congress
- The Avalon Project at Yale Law School: Primary documents of US history arranged chronologically
- DoHistory: An experimental, interactive case study of Martha Ballard, an 18th century midwife who left behind a detailed diary of her life.
- African American History
- Harriet Tubman
- Making of America (Cornell): Hosted by both Cornell and Michigan, MoA is a digital collection of social history primary sources from the American antebellum through the Reconstruction.
- Making of America (Michigan): Hosted by both Cornell and Michigan, MoA is a digital collection of social history primary sources from the American antebellum through the Reconstruction.
- The Gerritsen Collection: Books and periodicals on women's history from 1543 to 1945
- Internet Women's History Sourcebook
- Victorian Women Writers Project
- American Women through Time
- Rosie the Riveter
History Professional Organizations:
- American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies
- American Association for State and Local History: Includes job openings in historical societies and museums
- American Association of Museums: A variety of information including job openings
- Association for Ancient Historians
- The Conference on Latin American History
- Latin American Studies Association
- National Council on Public History
- North American Conference on British Studies
- Society for Late Antiquity
- Western Society for French History