St. Mary’s is committed to supporting you in developing knowledge, skills, and attitudes that sharpen your global awareness and engagement. Study abroad is one way you can satisfy Experiencing the Liberal Arts in the World of the Core Curriculum – a requirement that fosters reflection and the opportunity to apply your ideas and knowledge outside the classroom.
Why should you consider Studying Abroad?
When students go abroad, no matter the program they go on, nor the length of the program we would like them to achieve the following outcomes:
- Recognize cultural differences within and between cultures
- Display intercultural communication skills when responding to members of other cultures
- Articulate their personal growth in response to experiences in another culture that challenges or deepens their world views
- Increase independence and self-reliance through learning to successfully navigate travel logistics, new communities, and host culture
- Comprehend and speak a foreign language more proficiently and in culturally appropriate ways, when studying in a country where the language of the university and/or program differs from the student’s native language(s)