Financial Aid for Study Abroad
Any student wishing to use financial aid towards a study-abroad program is advised to discuss his or her options with an advisor in the SMCM Office of Financial Assistance.
FAFSA aid can be applied to SMCM study abroad programs. Please contact the SMCM Office of Financial Assistance for more information about this application.
SMCM Semester or Academic-Year Programs
All federal and state financial aid may be used towards a study abroad program. Additionally, students may use most scholarships and/or grants that they are currently receiving.
Non-SMCM Semester or Academic-Year Programs
Only federal financial aid may be used towards a Non-SMCM study abroad program. Students wishing to use their federal financial aid towards an approved Non-SMCM program must complete and submit a Consortium Agreement to the Office of International Education prior to departure.
Short-Term Summer, Winter or Spring Break Programs
In general, financial aid is not available for short-term programs. However, students are encouraged to speak with a representative from the SMCM Office of Financial Aid to see what options may be available.
For more information visit the Office of Financial Aid
SMCM Study Abroad Scholarships
Scholarships are available to SMCM students for study abroad! SMCM and the Office of International Education offer several scholarships to students participating on SMCM programs. Institutional scholarships and/or grants, not specified for study abroad, may only be transferred to SMCM study abroad programs, and would not apply to Non-SMCM study-abroad programs. The following deadlines to apply are:
Summer 2023 Study Tour Scholarships: February 1st, 2023.
Fall 2023 SMCM Programs: March 1st, 2023.
Spring 2023 SMCM Programs: October 1st, 2022.
A variety of SMCM scholarships are available, including need-based, merit-based, study in Asia, study of a foreign language, and study in a Spanish-speaking country. All scholarships have the following minimum requirements:
- Started an SMCM application in Via TRM
- 2.5 GPA or higher
- Clean judicial record
- Complete the scholarship application by the deadline
To apply, please do so directly through your Via TRM account.
External Scholarships for SMCM & Non-SMCM Programs
Many regional and national study-abroad scholarships have early deadlines, so it is important to look into these as soon as possible. The individual deadlines will vary and are listed on the websites below. Recipients of these various awards will be able to use the funding to assist them in paying for their study abroad experience. Non-SMCM program applicants are also encouraged to check with their program provider as many of those organizations offer in-house scholarships as well. For advising and assistance on Fulbright, CLS, and Boren, please check in with the Office of International Education, and be aware that there is often an earlier on-campus deadline for submitting applications.
National Study Abroad Scholarship Opportunities
Country/Region/Language Specific Scholarships
Diversity Study Abroad Scholarships
Other Scholarship Resources
Here is information on fundraising opportunities to aid you in being able to fully fund your study abroad experience. Please note that the Office of International Education is not in endorsing any of these companies or organizations but is simply providing you with the information so you can investigate if these are opportunities you want to pursue. As with anything, please read through the information fully before participating.
- FundMytravel -FundMyTravel offers an online platform for students to create their own fundraising campaign page for meaningful trips abroad.
- gofundme.com – Funding for any type of project. No time limits, fundraising can begin any time.
- indiegogo.com – Funding for any type of project. Allows anyone to find and contribute to your campaign.
- rally.org – Uses storytelling and creativity to raise funds. Solicit donations primarily through email.
- gogetfunding.com – Any type of project, can designate time limit or ongoing funding. Project descriptions must be in video format.
- fundrazr.com – Utilizes social media & Youtube to raise funds for any type of project. Created by PayPal.
- GoOverseas – budgeting and funding for study abroad guide created by GoOverseas
- STA Travel Deposit Program – offers travel discounts for students and a program that allows students traveling on University-sponsored programs to pay only a $49 deposit for their flight and then the remaining amount only 7 days before departure.