Advising Information for Advisors
Responsibilities for academic advisors
- Allocate time to meet with advisees at least once each semester, in addition to registration appointments. Advisors should meet more regularly with first-year and transfer students.
- Know the general requirements for graduation outside of the major (overall credit hours, upper-division credit hours, and Core Curriculum), and keep abreast of changes in the curriculum.
- Know the requirements for majors in each discipline and be able to answer questions about them.
- Aid advisees in designing schedules to meet their educational, co-curricular, and career interests, goals and requirements.
- Refer advisees needing further advice or other campus-related information to the appropriate person or office.
- Monitor each student’s academic progress and maintain up-to-date files containing each student’s appropriate records.
- Be willing to assist advisees encountering academic problems or related difficulties and, as necessary, refer them for further assistance.
- Make advisees aware of their responsibilities and encourage them to review their progress toward a degree.
To initiate a change of advisor, the new advisor must e-mail the request to email@example.com, providing the student’s full name and ID number.
Students who would like a new advisor, but do not have a specific advisor in mind, should contact Student Support Services to be matched with a suitable advisor.
The deadline for requesting a change of advisor for Advising Day is by 4:00 p.m. one week before Advising Day.