In addition to writing tutorials, the Writing Center offers tutoring and other services related to oral expression.
Writing Tutorials vs. Speaking Tutorials
Speaking tutorials work in much the same way as writing tutorials; schedule an appointment and work with a trained tutor. Unlike writing tutorials, you may choose to work mostly alone (for example, to practice a presentation) or work directly with a tutor (for example, to brainstorm ideas). A tutor will usually be on hand to assist you with equipment and answer questions, but you can also just practice on your own if you’d prefer.
Speaking Center Location and Hours
- LI 115 is available whenever classes are not using it if you’d like to practice and/or record your presentation on your own. You do not need an appointment if you plan to work alone.
- If you want to work with a tutor, appointments are available 2:00-8:00 on Sunday through Thursday. To schedule an appointment, click here. If these hours do not work for you, please e-mail Mandy Taylor to make special arrangements.
- If you would like to work with a tutor and film your presentation or practice in a classroom, please make sure to schedule your appointment when LI115 is not in use (on Sunday or probably after 4:30 PM weekdays).
Ways to Use Speaking Tutoring
Just as you can make an appointment to discuss any aspect of the writing process with a Center tutor, you can also make an appointment to work on any aspect of speaking or presentation-related assignments. For example, a speaking tutorial may involve:
- Brainstorming ideas for a presentation,
- Planning a presentation
- Rehearsing a presentation (either in person or by viewing a recording, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Developing visual aids (posters, PowerPoints, etc.)
- Developing strategies to reduce public speaking anxiety
Other Speaking/Presentation Services
- Videotape a speech or presentation
- Practice an individual or group presentation
Available Equipment and Resources
- White board and dry erase markers
- Chairs and tables
- Reserved classroom space in LI 115
- LCD projector and screen with laptop hookup (bring your own laptop)
- Built-in camera and recording software (make a recording and save it to a flash drive, or e-mail it to yourself)
Recording a Speech or Presentation
- Visit LI 115 outside of the hours the room is used for classes
- Locate the desktop computer and directions (in the corner near the podium)
- Follow the directions to make a recording
- After filming, your video will be a file that you can save to a flash drive or e-mail to yourself
Have questions about the Speaking Center? Contact Mandy Taylor