Quick Ways to Incorporate Revision
We often hear from faculty who want to incorporate opportunities for revision in their assignments but have difficulty carving out the time for it. Here is a list of relatively quick ways to incorporate revision into assignments:
- Collect only students’ intros or thesis statements and have them revise before continuing the paper.
- Consider collecting rough drafts earlier but only requiring the first page or two to be written.
- Have students revise a representative paragraph or section of a longer draft.
- Look at representative student samples as a class and have students discuss revision options. (Make sure to let students know you will be pulling from their drafts for this activity.)
- Use representative student samples (with permission) from past classes and discuss revision options as a class.
- Make revisions of full drafts optional.