Is this program right for you? St. Mary’s is a rigorous Honors College and close-knit community in a beautiful rural and riverside location, about two hours’ drive with a car from Washington DC. Speak to your exchange coordinator at your home institution, and view our International Student Exchange Program Fact Sheet.
Create an account in our application portal.
Complete SMCM’s Inbound Exchange Student Application. You will be asked to electronically request the approval of your home institution’s outbound exchange coordinator, as well as two academic recommendations. Applications will not be considered until all three of these recommendations have been received.
You will need to complete and submit the following forms/materials within the application:
- J-1 Visitors form
- Proof of Financial Support (in English) – This can be a bank statement or a letter for your institution if your institution is supporting your time abroad.
- A copy of your transcript in English
SMCM’s Office of International Education will send acceptance letters to those exchange students accepted for study at St. Mary’s only after receiving all of the required documentation.
Application due dates are:
October 22 for spring semester exchange
March 22 for academic year or fall semester exchange
Documentation required after acceptance:
- New Student Housing Form
- Copy of their Immunization Record (in English): Completed on the Wellness Center Portal after you’ve received your SMCM portal credentials
- Results of a TB (Tuberculosis) Test (administered by a doctor or hospital): Completed on the Wellness Center Portal after you’ve received your SMCM portal credentials
- Drug Free Acknowledgement: This can only be completed after receipt of your SMCM Student ID number
- Read Campus Drug-free Policy
- Health History Form: Completed on the Wellness Center Portal after you’ve received your SMCM portal credentials
SMCM will enter each student into the U.S.’s SEVIS system in order to issue each student a SEVIS I-20 (degree-seeking students) or a DS-2019 (exchange students), only after all of the above information has been received. Each student will take this SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 to a U.S. embassy or consulate in his/her home country to obtain the required entry visa.
These online resources will be helpful in preparing for your visa application: