The major and minor within the Department of International Languages and Cultures allows specialized studies in Chinese, French, German and Spanish languages and cultures, as well as Latin American Studies.
- Studies in Chinese provide coverage of the Chinese-speaking world.
- Studies in French provide coverage of both Metropolitan France, as well as the broader field of Francophone cultures in Africa, the Americas, Asia and Europe.
- Studies in German focus on areas of German language and culture.
- Studies in Spanish cover Spain and Latin America, with particular attention to the great cultural variety within the Spanish-speaking world in the Americas.
- Latin American Studies allows students to study this important region of the world through a multidisciplinary approach.
At SMCM, we see language and culture as inextricably linked. Our curriculum acknowledges the growing need for professionals who have both linguistic and cultural literacy that extend beyond the English-speaking world.
International Languages and Cultures (ILC) Academic Offerings