The Offices of Institutional Research and the Registrar are both bound by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. Additional information regarding FERPA can be obtained here on the Registrar’s web site and contained within To the Point, the student handbook. As a result, all requests are reviewed to ensure compliance with FERPA as well as institutional policies.
The release of requested information is a shared responsibility between the Offices of Institutional Research and the Registrar, and the requesting office or department.
Institutional Research & Registrar Responsibilities
- Processing approved data requests
- Assisting requesting offices in determining appropriate information for their data needs
- Restricting further access to data if it has been used for unauthorized purpose, or data integrity or security is found to be not maintained
Requesting Office Responsibilities
- Maintaining the integrity and confidentiality of the approved data
- Only using the data received for the approved specified project
- Providing adequate lead time for the offices to process the request
- Providing clear guidance as to the information requested
By requesting data from the Offices of Institutional Research and the Registrar, the individual agrees to the above shared responsibilities.
To submit a request:
Please submit the form at the SMCM Support Center