The goals of the WGSX Program are to engage students and faculty in:
- Analyzing gender and gendered systems across cultures and over time
- Identifying the complex relationship between sex and gender
- Exploring formations of sexuality and sexual identity
- Recognizing how gender and sexuality are related to other social hierarchies and identity markers, such as race, ethnicity, class, and ability;
- Addressing societal inequalities based on gender and sexuality
The WGSX Program is committed to the centrality of the study of women and to the analysis of gender and sexuality as organizing cultural categories. WGSX courses, offered in disciplines across campus, identify gender as a foundational category of analysis, both in theory as well as practice.