St. Mary’s College of Maryland community,
You are receiving this crime warning as part of St. Mary’s College of Maryland’s commitment to providing campus related crime information, in compliance with the federal Clery Act (Jeanne Clery disclosure of campus security policy and campus crime statistics act).
This notice is an advisory to the community that the college has identified a respondent in connection with the sexual assault reported on September 10, 2016. The case is being actively investigated through the College Title IX office. The College has addressed any potential continuing harm to the community and determined that there is no ongoing threat to the community at this time.
Sexual assault is never the fault of the victim. While nothing is failsafe, here are some suggestions everyone may want to consider.
- Make sure you have consent. Consent is a clear and freely given yes, not the absence of a no.
- People who are incapacitated by alcohol or drugs cannot give consent.
- Practice being assertive about your boundaries.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uneasy or sense something is wrong, call for assistance.
- Be active in supporting a safe and respectful community. If you see others engaging in disrespectful or inappropriate actions, speak up and get involved, or contact someone else to assist.
For more information about the Clery Act and why you are receiving this federally mandated crime warning, please visit www.ed.gov/admins/lead/safety/campus.html.
You can contact the Office of Public Safety at x4911 or 240-895-4911 if you have any questions.