- All students must show SMCM Daily Symptom Check clearance before entering College sports and recreation facilities.
- When using College sports and recreation facilities, students and employees will wear appropriate face coverings at all times, except when hydrating or eating, and will adhere to all College COVID-19 guidance including social distancing.
- Facility restrooms will be available for use and will receive deep cleaning at least twice per day.
College cleaning staff will wear latex gloves while deep cleaning shared equipment.
- Students and employees will come to the facility dressed to engage in physical activity and leave immediately afterwards; locker rooms will not be available for showers or changing.
- Facility hours will be restricted (and posted) to allow for deep cleaning at least twice per day.
Intramural Sports Program
- The athletic department has implemented public health-guided enhancements to the intramural sports program for the spring that will help fill the role varsity athletic competition and club sports play in the lives of all St. Mary’s College students.
- A minimum of five intramural sports are planned including floor hockey.
- A phased-in approach that would include first practicing in groups of 10 people or less, with groups growing in size to full team inter-squad competitions, dependent upon NCAA and CDC guidelines, as well as the campus environment.
- Safety protocols include prohibiting the sharing of water bottles among team members, regular health screenings, sanitizing balls and equipment before and after play, and the use of hand sanitizer.
- Coaches will continue to be academic mentors to their student-athletes, while also conducting virtual team meetings throughout the semester to maintain team structure and engagement.
- An increased focus on diversity and inclusion efforts are planned in order to provide a platform and hold conversations about experiences of student-athletes, with outside speakers employed to virtually engage with the community to increase those efforts so our students can be active change-agents on campus.
- Starting January 1, 2021, varsity winter athletic teams will use the indoor facilities (arena and aquatic center) for practices. No organized varsity team practices will be allowed prior to January 1, 2021.
- Athletes will come to the facility dressed to practice and leave immediately afterwards; locker rooms will not be available for showers or changing.
- Varsity athletic competition planned for the spring semester will require weekly/multi-times a week testing for student-athletes to ensure the mitigation of the spread of COVD-19 during maskless practice and competition. Student-athletes will be required to report for all testing dates, a missed test will result in a potential two week self-quarantine and/or a negative COVID-19 test prior to travel and competition.
Recreational Equipment Checkout
- Students may check out recreational equipment from the Michael P. O’Brien Athletic & Recreation Center and the Waterfront during hours posted at each facility; equipment is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Staff will deep clean recreational equipment between checkouts.
- Students will sanitize recreational equipment before and after use; cleaning supplies will be provided.
- Community members will not be permitted to check out recreational equipment.
Michael P. O’Brien Athletic & Recreation Center (MPOARC)
Learn more at the Athletics website»
- Reduced capacity limits will be posted for the Cardio Room, Climbing Wall, Fitness Center, Arena, Recreation Courts, Aquatic Center and Classroom.
- Equipment will be positioned to support social distancing standards with some equipment marked as offline.
- Students and employees will enter the MPOARC using the Main Entrance by the Welcome Desk only. You will exit the MPOARC using any other exit not posted for emergency use only.
- Students and employees will reserve access for a specific day and time to use the facility with a 45-minute limit per day.
- Students and employees will swipe their ID at the Welcome Desk prior to using the facility and sanitize all equipment before and after use; cleaning supplies will be provided.
- Students and employees will use the Recreation Courts for individual activities only, no team sports permitted.
- Group fitness classes (e.g., Barre, Yoga, Zumba, Seahawk Pump, and Total Body Fitness) will be offered remotely with no in-person attendance.
- Aqua exercise classes will be limited to eight patrons and held in the 25-yard pool only.
Learn more on the Waterfront webpage»
- Students will take swim tests in small groups and by reservation only.
- The Awesome Room, Conference Room, and Upstairs Porch are reserved for specific College use.
Facility Rental and Community Memberships
- Access to College sports and recreational facilities will be limited to students and employees.
- Paid community memberships and guest passes will not be permitted during the pandemic.