The Museum Studies Program is designed to introduce students to the pleasures, problems, and challenges of American museum practice in the 21st century.
Museums are important on multiple levels:
- They preserve cultural and natural heritage
- they educate their audiences about this heritage
- They contribute to the economy
At St. Mary’s, you can earn a minor in museum studies as you explore the theory and practice of museums in the contemporary world with emphasis on:
- The stewardship of collections and the creation of exhibits
- Interpretive programs
- Educational outreach services
Museum practice is inherently multi-disciplinary and cross-disciplinary, benefiting from knowledge and experience in the fine arts, the sciences, history, anthropology, education, computer science, design, marketing, finance, and other fields.
The Museum Studies minor studies topics such as archaeology, culture, Native American history, art, economics, and more.