The Department of Biology is a close-knit community of faculty, staff, and students bound by a shared curiosity and respect for the living world. In our educational program the faculty and staff of the Department of Biology at St. Mary’s College of Maryland seek:
- to pursue the mission and core values of St. Mary’s College of Maryland,
- to assist our students in 1) acquiring fundamental knowledge of the biological sciences, 2) using the methods and instrumentation of scientific inquiry, and 3) understanding the practices of the global scientific research community,
- to provide our students with opportunities to master the skills of reading, communication, critical thinking and analysis, and teamwork,
- to prepare our students to make informed decisions at both personal and societal levels regarding a broad range of biological issues from human health to our impact on the environment,
- to challenge our students to explore a biological topic in depth, especially through pursuit of their St. Mary’s Projects,
- to foster an inclusive community of students, staff, and faculty engaged in discovery and creative activity,
- to prepare students for further study or careers, and
- to nurture an environment within the department that 1) allows each staff and faculty member to contribute their unique expertise to the program and 2) supports their continued professional growth.
Check out our program brochure.